The student news site of Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, Illinois.

The Daily Eastern News

The student news site of Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, Illinois.

The Daily Eastern News

The student news site of Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, Illinois.

The Daily Eastern News

J.C. Fultz, public information officer, and Matt Perez, fire marshall, answer questions after the campus fire safety presentation on Wednesday morning.

Illinois fire officials come to Eastern to share fire safety

Ryan Meyer, Multimedia Reporter September 8, 2021

Illinois fire officials and Eastern administrators gathered in Old Main Wednesday morning to discuss fire safety on campus in honor of September being named Campus Fire Safety Month. Among the speakers...

Grill fire causes damage in Greek Court

Staff Report August 24, 2020

A fire started Saturday afternoon in Greek Court is suspected to have been caused by a grill. The fire caused damage to the fences surrounding dumpsters behind the house, a large portion of the porch,...

Why the Notre Dame Cathedral fire is significant

Staff Editorial April 16, 2019

The latest unfortunate event gripping people all over the world is that of the fire at the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. We at The Daily Eastern News are disheartened from the destruction caused by the...

CFD responds to attic fire Sunday

Staff Report March 3, 2019

The Charleston Fire Department extinguished an attic fire at a residence located at 319 Madison Avenue early Sunday morning. The cause of the fire was faulty electrical wiring, according to the press...

Hidden Treasures fire caused by lightning strike

Staff Report June 14, 2018

A lightning strike caused the fire at Hidden Treasures resale shop on Sunday. According to a press release from the Charleston Fire Department, fire investigators and the investigator for the insurance...

Charleston fire chief calls Mother’s Bar a ‘total loss’

Mike Santoria, Campus Reporter February 19, 2018

The second floor of Mother’s Bar at 506 Monroe Ave. was completely burned away after last week’s fire, making the building a total loss, Charleston Fire Chief Steve Bennett said. Located next to...

A picture of the damage done to Mothers bar because of the fire.

Fire in Mother’s building displaces 8 from homes, destroys bar

Staff Report February 18, 2018

Eight people were displaced from their homes, and the building Mother’s bar is located in at 506 Monroe Ave. was gutted during a fire at 1:46 a.m. Friday morning. No firefighter or civilian injuries...

Structure fire reported on Elm Street

Staff Report January 31, 2018

A fire at 3:48 a.m. on 1001 Elm Street destroyed a structure Tuesday, but no injuries were reported. The resident was home at the time of the fire but was able to escape without injury. According...

Fire breaks out at Cahokia Lane

Staff Report January 9, 2018

The Lincoln Fire Protection District was dispatched to a structure fire at 12:28 a.m. Tuesday at 3746 Cahokia Lane. According to a press release, no injuries were reported. When crews arrived, they...

Stop, drop and leave

November 30, 2017

Despite it being taught to us since elementary school, it looks like some people still need a refresher on fire safety. For instance, if there is a fire alarm going off, leave the building that is allegedly...

Students who stayed through Douglas Hall fire could face consequences

Mallory Kutnick, Contributing Writer November 30, 2017

Though most residents left the building after a fire in the attic of Douglas Hall Tuesday evening, those who remained may reap the penalties for disregarding their own safety. In an article of The Daily...

Steve Bennett (left), chief of the Charleston Fire Department, discusses the situation with a firefighter in the parking lot of Douglas Hall Wednesday night after the buildings attic caught on fire.

Sparking motor to blame for Douglas Hall fire

Chrissy Miller, News Editor November 30, 2017

Emergency vehicles responded to a fire in the attic of Douglas Hall at 7:33 p.m. Tuesday night. Mark Hudson, director of university housing and dining services, said the ventilation motor that caused...

Load More Stories