The Ticker
  • Welcome back to the Daily Eastern News!
  • Check out our podcasts on Spotify!
  • May 24- Marqus McGlothan named interim women's basketball coach 🏀
  • June 28- Tara Archibald steps down as Eastern's softball coach
  • July 8- EIU announces computer refresh cycle 🖥️
  • Aug. 19- First day of class
  • Aug. 29- Football at the University of Illinois 😟
  • Check out our newsletters!
  • Who is Aidan Cusack?

EIU to replace campus computers

All campus computers will be upgraded after five years, with older variants being reused at kiosks or given to student employees. (Stephanie White)

As part of Plan 2028, campus computers are being swapped for newer variants, according to a university report. 

The report notes that a hardware reset has not been completed in some time, which can cause issues regarding cybersecurity and compatibility. The most prevalent compatibility issue is that the school must upgrade their software on campus to Windows 11 by October 2025, yet nearly 45% of Eastern’s computers are not compatible. 

Current computers will be on a five-year life cycle. After the five years are up, the computer will be upgraded. The old computer will be used at kiosks or given to student employees. If a current computer is older than five years, it doesn’t necessarily mean it will be immediately upgraded.

Old computers must be given up come time for an upgrade.

200 new computers will be purchased every year, with 50 computers purchased per quarter. The new computers will replace those at the end of their five-year life cycle.

The report says individual departments will not see a decrease in funding as a result of the computer upgrades. 

Eastern is working on a webpage where employees can log in and see where they are in the refresh cycle.