Grill fire causes damage in Greek Court

Staff Report

A fire started Saturday afternoon in Greek Court is suspected to have been caused by a grill.

The fire caused damage to the fences surrounding dumpsters behind the house, a large portion of the porch, shingles and parts of the back window of the Sigma Phi Epsilon house.

Members of the University Police Department and the Charleston Fire Department responded to the scene around 5:15 p.m. and were able to put the fire out quickly.

Director of Housing and Dining Mark Hudson said he was glad the fire was put out quickly and no students were injured.

CFD Captain Blake Graven said the fire is still under investigation.

He estimates the damage would cost $2,000 – $3,000.

Graven said to take precautions when grilling.

“Don’t be grilling on a wooden deck,” Graven said. “Or leave your grill unattended.”


The News Staff can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].