Students, staff offer advice on upcoming school year

Cassie Buchman

Caitlyn Atwood, a sophomore marketing major and first-year desk assistant at Thomas Hall, watches as members of hall council play pool and hang up decorations Tuesday afternoon. Atwood was sitting among keys used by students moving into Thomas Hall early. As students start moving in throughout the week, returning students and staff took some time to give them advice on the new school year.

AJ Fournier , Campus Reporter

With Move-In Weekend underway and classes beginning on Monday, new students and returning students alike will have the chance to excel both in and out of the classroom.

Returning students and staff offered their advice on what students should do to make the most of their time at Eastern.

Sarah Jacobs, complex director for Lawson and Taylor Hall, said she encourages students to get involved and ask questions.

“Your four years here in college are like a giant sleepover,” Jacobs said. “The time goes by really fast, so enjoy your time with the friends you make.”

Andy Goldstein, a junior education major, said students should take advantage of the services Eastern offers, such as the Writing Center and Career Services.

Lawson Abramovitz, a junior finance major, said going to class, getting organized and learning to manage one’s time are also important.

Procrastinating can come back to haunt students, Abramovitz said.

Attending PROWL events over the weekend can help students adjust to college life, said junior psychology major Jasmine Martinez.

“There are events every day, and you get to meet new people and find your way around campus,” Martinez said.

Martinez said going to Pantherpalooza, an annual registered student organization fair, is helpful because many RSOs are there and students can find which ones they will be interested in.

“Be open to meeting new people,” Martinez said.

Admissions Director Kelly Miller said new students should avoid going home every weekend, even if they are homesick, because it helps them create a community of their own.

Miller said the goal is to get students to realize Eastern is their new home and that building connections is a very important part of their university life.

“Use your (resident assistant) and ask questions if you are living in a residence hall, and find that organization or group that you can connect with,” Miller said.

As far as schoolwork, Miller said keeping up with class work is key.

“Your workload will be manageable if you stay on top of it,” Miller said.

For her, this means not falling into the habit of taking naps, using the time in between classes to get schoolwork done.

“Look at (it) like when you were in high school–you were busy the whole time from your first class until your last,” Miller said. “Continue that routine.”

AJ Fournier can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].