Resources available for students to stay healthy

Kennedy Nolen, Multicultural Reporter

Although students might find it difficult to stay healthy away from home, on-campus resources can help them maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Students can still enjoy what they are currently eating and the activities they are already participating in while at Eastern, nutrition coordinator Ally Kuehn said.

“I think it is important to maintain a healthy diet, because it will help build a better lifestyle for your future,” Kuehn said.

There are several food options in the dining centers for students living in the residence halls, Mark Hudson, director of Housing and Dining, said.

The variety available at the dining centers can make it harder for students to choose healthy food over something fried, Hudson said.

“A lot of it is about self-control,” he said. “The most important thing is that students make good choices.”

Hudson said in Thomas and Taylor Hall there are full salad bars, with fruit, offered at every lunch and dinner meal.

“The best way to stay healthy in college is to focus on fruits and vegetables and to include them in each meal,” Kuehn said.

Vegetarian options are also available in each dining center. If a student has a specific medical diet, such as gluten-free, the centers can make special food for them upon request, Hudson said.

Kuehn can not give guidance regarding medically-based diets and also help the student create a meal plan, but students can seek help with this from a registered dietitian or physician.

Kuehn said the Health Education Resource Center can be helpful when it comes to nutrition.

Students are able to request group presentations like “Nutrition 10” and “How to Survive a College Diet.”

Some nutrition presentations are also available on the HERC’s webpage.

Hudson said he knows of students who have eaten at the dining centers and lost weight, because they ate healthier options and exercised.

Kuehn said she is available to meet with students who would like information on a balanced diet and exercise for a free “nutrition analysis.”

The nutrition analysis includes a packet including items like a three-day food log, a confidentiality statement and basic information regarding diet and exercise.

She said a tip to staying healthy is to stay hydrated. The best way to do this is to choose water over other drinks Kuehn said. Staying active helps attribute to students’ health as well, she said.

The Student Recreation Center offers intramural sports and different classes available to all students. Along with six basketball courts available for badminton, volleyball and basketball, there is also a pool, an 1/8 mile track, cardio areas and two free-weight areas.

Kennedy Nolen can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

CORRECTION: This story has been edited to reflect that Ally Kuehn, nutrition promotion coordinator for the Health Education Resource Center, is not able to give guidance to students regarding medically-based diets or meal plans for students with chronic illnesses. The News regrets the error.