New year means new perspective, horizons

Andrew Paisley, Opinions Editor

Andrew Paisley
Andrew Paisley

It really feels good to be back at Eastern. I am excited to start out the year in a new position as Opinions Editor, and I am anxious to see how the year goes.

Last year was my first year here as a junior transfer student, and to say I was petrified is an understatement. I really did not have any idea of what to expect, and I was worried that I would get homesick and/or just not like Eastern.

As it turns out, I do not regret coming here at all. I met amazing friends, I got my foot in the door with the journalism department and The Daily Eastern News and I got to have so many new experiences.

For those of you who are just starting out here at Eastern, there are so many pieces of advice I could give to you to help you better adapt and enjoy your year.

Prowl starts this weekend, and it is mandatory for new students to participate in. Last year, a lot of us were kind of bummed to have to participate in different events all weekend long, but it actually helps you get settled in here at Eastern, and you meet so many new people. I would suggest that you really just have fun and enjoy the activities you participate in.

Go out and explore. It helps tremendously to get a sense of direction and figure out where each building is as well as where your classes are located.

Don’t ever turn down an invitation. If someone invites you to a party this weekend, out to dinner or just to hang out in their room, I would definitely recommend taking them up on their offer. It is not healthy to stay in your room the entire first week of school because you do not get to interact with anyone, and if you are the type that gets homesick, hiding is not going to help at all.

Take the opportunity to get involved with different clubs and organizations. As a journalism major, I decided to get involved with the DEN and it was the best decision I made. Not only do I learn more about my major through my classes, but I also get to experience a journalism career by working for the DEN. It really helps you to get out there and know what you are doing and what you will be doing with your future career.

All in all, I have to say that I hope everyone has a fantastic year here at Eastern and I wish everyone the best of luck.

Andrew Paisley can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].