EIU season ends with a loss to USI

Eastern fell short behind two fourth-quarter runs by the University of Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles 69-54.  

USI was able to capitalize on a 6-0 run to start the fourth quarter and a 7-0 run to end it.  

Both teams started slow shooting-wise, as both teams shot less than 30% from the field in the first quarter.  

USI was able to shoot better throughout the rest of the game. They did not shoot below 50% for the rest of the game. However, rebounds and defense were the key for USI. 

I think that’s the story of the game right there,” USI head coach Rick Stein said. “Obviously, how we defend is generally how we go. And how we rebound the ball is generally how we go. I think that the defense certainly led to good stuff for us offensively.” 

The Panthers were held to 31% shooting for the game and 21% during the fourth. They were also held to only 16 points in the paint, which attributed to the rough shooting game. 

On the defensive side of things, USI held Ohio Valley Conference player of the year junior forward Macy McGlone to only four points and 1 for 13 from the field. 

The mindset to defend Macy is not just about one player,” Stein said. “You’ve got to defend her as a basketball team, and that’s what I told our team. It’s not about us just stopping her. We’ve got to stop Eastern Illinois.” 

Senior forward Emily Meidel after her last college game after Eastern’s game against Southern Indiana at the OVC tournament. The Panthers lost 69-54 (Sia DeyKoontz)

Other players tried to step up for Eastern, as junior guard Miah Monahan finished with 15 points and five assists. She gained confidence after the last game and shook off last year’s cobwebs. Monahan accredited some of that to assistant coach Marqus McGlothan. 

The past is in the past. You have to forget about the last game and last year’s game that I brought up again so yeah, [McGlothan] is just like you got to be confident,” Monahan said. “This is a new game so just go out, and be you. That’s good enough.” 

Another player that helped Eastern to stay in the game was senior forward Emily Meidel. Meidel was able to finish the game with 11 points and two steals. 

Meidel is a senior and with the loss, this was her final game at Eastern. Meidel has been at Eastern for only two years but she was able to make an impact. 

“It’s just really hard so yeah with everything just coming to a close I just couldn’t be more grateful for this team,” Meidel said. “So, I just wanted to enjoy those last few moments with those girls out there. I’m just really thankful for this opportunity in this place and just the culture we’ve built.”  

Eastern finished the season 15-18 overall and made it to the semifinals of the OVC tournament. 

Even with this being the last game of the season for Eastern, head coach Matt Bollant is looking ahead to next season. 

“We’ve got a great junior class and some good young kids, so we’re excited about the future,” Bollant said. 

Patrick Schmitz can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].