The Ticker
  • Welcome back to the Daily Eastern News!
  • Check out our podcasts on Spotify!
  • May 24- Marqus McGlothan named interim women's basketball coach 🏀
  • June 28- Tara Archibald steps down as Eastern's softball coach
  • July 8- EIU announces computer refresh cycle 🖥️
  • Aug. 19- First day of class
  • Aug. 29- Football at the University of Illinois 😟
  • Check out our newsletters!

Holley speaks on summer training in Q&A

Coming off an 8-3 season, Holley is determined to improve his game for the 2024 season.
Tyriq Johnson
Pierce Holley, a junior quarter back practice throwing the ball at O’Brien Field wednesday afternoon.

Graduate student Pierce Holley closed out the 2023 season with a Second Team Big South-Ohio Valley Conference mention.

On April 28, right after Eastern’s spring scrimmage, Holley was named a team captain for the upcoming football season.

The quarterback from Arvada, Colorado spoke about how he feels about being a team captain, his strengths and weaknesses on the field, and which player he’s seen improve the most since the end of the 2023 football season:

Q: How has practice been so far in the offseason?

A: “Practice has been good. I feel like the main thing right now is our strength and conditioning program, and I think Coach [Jacob] Hillman does a great job of not only making us stronger but also teaching us discipline and mental toughness.”

Q: What game are you the most excited for?

A: “I wouldn’t say there’s one game that I’m more excited for. Honestly, I’m not even focused on the games right now. I’m focused on today and how [the team] will get better day by day. I try to just take it one day at a time.”

Q: How does it feel to be a team captain?

A: “It’s been really good!”

Q: What improvements have you been seeing in yourself?

A: “I’ve been seeing improvements physically. I feel like I throw the ball well, and I’m feeling confident. I really had this offseason to mesh with the offense, and I’m very confident in our offense.”

Q: How do you feel like new players are adjusting to the environment?

A: “I’ve been working with the new receivers, and that’s been going well. We’re just letting them adjust to the playbook. We’ve also been doing stuff outside of football to get to know each other better, and I feel like it’s going well for us only being back for a week or two on campus.”

Q: Who’s someone that you’ve seen improve a lot since the end of last season?

A: “Jay Pearson. I thought he had a really good spring, and he’s a player I’m excited to watch this year. He’s improved his game physically and mentally, so I’m excited for him.”

Q: What are your personal goals this season?

A: “Obviously, [I want] an OVC ring. That’s the only thing that matters. I’d also want to have a run in the playoffs.”

Q: Define the “We Not Me” mentality.

A: “It’s always putting the team first. When we say, ‘We Not Me,’ that means that you’re putting the needs of the team and what puts the team in the best situation over what you think is the best situation for you.”

Q: What is the best piece of advice anyone has given you?

A: “Control what you can control. Don’t waste energy into what could or may happen in the future but be present and don’t worry what’s about to come.”

Q: What do you think your strengths and weaknesses are as a quarterback?

A: “Obviously, I don’t have great speed, and that’s probably my biggest weakness right now. My strengths are having knowledge, experience and my preparation that goes into each week.”

Q: Knowing everything you know now, what would you tell 10-year-old you?

A: “I’d probably say to not worry about what other people think of you and to not waste that time trying to fit in. Don’t be afraid to be different and who you actually are and if you want something, chase it and go after it.”

Zaria Flippin can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].