EIU Swim competes as whole

Eastern’s men’s and women’s swimming teams will compete together on Saturday at the University of Illinois Chicago for the first time this school year. (File)

After a long-awaited stretch, Eastern’s men’s swimming returns this semester after a semester-long suspension due to hazing.

On Friday, Jan. 19, 5 p.m. the men’s and women’s teams will meet with Southern Indiana at home. This meet replaces last week’s meet with University of Illinois Chicago which was canceled due to weather and scheduling.

The men are returning with excitement.

Head Coach Jonathan Jordan is planning on testing the waters with the men to see where their strong suits are.

Freshman men’s swimmer Nolan Wallace is excited to start his collegiate career with the Panthers.

“Leading up to my first meet, I’m definitely excited for the challenge,” Wallace said. “After missing out on a bunch first semester, it’s just exciting to finally be able to swim in a meet again. Overall, I think it is just going to be a fun opportunity to see how I fare.”

On the men’s side of the team, keep an eye out for junior Dismas Dillon and sophomore Canyon Bain.

Last year, Dillon set a school record in the 50 freestyle with a time of 20.31 as well as in the 100 fly with a time of 50.19.

Along with Dillon, Bain entered into the top 10 in the 100 fly with a time of 50.75.

For the first time this season, the men will compete and hit the roads with the women, who are equally as excited for them to return.

“It is super exciting to be back with my teammates on the men’s side,” freshman Paloma Pareja said. “It helps to push the women because they are faster in practice. I’m happy that the men are back and practicing with us, and I think this semester will be fun.”

On the women’s team, the Panthers are coming off a successful invite before break where the women clocked in a few top 10 times within program’s history.

Senior Camryn Lewis recorded an impressive time of 23.77 in the 50 freestyle along with the 200-freestyle relay team with the sixth fastest time in school history of 1:36.68.

The team is ready and excited to see what they can do.

“I am really excited now that we are back in the pool, especially after such a long break,” senior Phoebe Croston said.

Chloe Proffitt can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].