EIU hazing reports confirmed

Members of Eastern’s swim team were found responsible for violating Hazing Policy
Following an investigation, members of the men’s swim team were found responsible for hazing allegations. Competition will continue in January under supervision of Eastern’s athletics department. (File)

Nobody has be disciplined for the hazing allegations as of November 16 according to Eastern’s general counsel Austin Hill.

Eastern’s investigation of the men’s swim team’s alleged hazing reports has violated the institution’s hazing policy.

Disciplinary actions for students involved are confidential and have not been released under protection under the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act and Eastern cannot comment further.

According to the university’s press release, second-season head coach Jonathan Jordan made the initial report, and after full cooperation, the investigation confirmed Jordan had no prior knowledge of hazing.

The investigation documents that first-year student-athletes “were compelled to participate in activities that were characterized as student-led team ‘traditions’ that included tasking underclassmen swimmers with creating PowerPoint presentations on topics that were manifestly inappropriate, harmful, and distasteful, often relating to topics that were sexual in nature.”

Furthermore, some first-year student-athletes were given derogatory nicknames, and the investigation found that student-athletes created a culture of “promoting excessive and underage alcohol consumption that required a recent medical intervention for a first-year student-athlete.”

Eastern’s men’s swimming will resume with ongoing oversight from EIU’s Department of Intercollegiate Athletics. Competition for the team will resume in January.

The team is also required to participate in anti-hazing and alcohol abuse workshops before their competition resumes.

All Eastern intercollegiate athletics will also participate in similar trainings throughout the 2023-2024 academic year.

Zaria Flippin can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].