EIU suspends men’s 2023 swim meets for hazing investigation

The article reflects the most recent information available.

Eastern suspended all competition for the men’s swimming team following an investigation about hazing Thursday morning, following what they deemed “credible” hazing reports given to its head coach, Jonathan Jordan.

Eastern announced Friday the Finegan, Rinker, and Ghrist law firm will help investigate the claims. They also said the university is unable to provide further comment during the ongoing investigation.

The university will work with the law firm to support and review the Dean of Students’ investigation.

Eastern Athletics declined to comment about the current investigation and referred to the university’s Attorney Austin Hill.

Eastern’s Public Information Coordinator Josh Reinhart said he could not answer questions regarding the length or starting date of the investigation.

Hazing is illegal in Illinois through the Hazing Act, which can have legal consequences. 

Hazing can be classified as a Class A misdemeanor, except hazing resulting in death or great bodily harm is a Class 4 felony, according to Eastern’s Hazing policy. 

Final decisions on future competitions and roster eligibility will be evaluated following the investigation.

The News has reached out to members of the men’s team to get their perspectives.

Zaria Flippin and Rob Le Cates can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].