Panthers of the Week: William Hays, Danny Infante

Eastern Illinois University Athletes
Junior infielder Danny Infante tags University of Dayton freshman infielder David Mendez during their double header on March 16 and 17 at Coaches Stadium

The first Panther of the Week is going to William Hays from the tennis team.

The sophomore from Evansville, Indiana, won his doubles and singles matches against the University of Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles Saturday afternoon at the Darling Courts.

Hays, along with his doubles partner fifth-year Pau Riera, defeated Screaming Eagles Eytan Michaeli and Guy Finkelstein 7-6 in the doubles category.

Hays won his singles match against Screaming Eagle Guy Finkelstein to start the singles category. Hays lost only three out of 15 sets (6-2, 6-1).

The Panthers are now 2-0 in the Horizon League after their win over the Screaming Eagles.

The second Panther of the Week is going to Danny Infante from the baseball team.

The junior infielder from Brooklyn, New York, hit a grand slam to help the Panthers finish with an 8-4 win over the University of Tennessee at Martin Skyhawks Saturday afternoon.

Infante’s grand slam at the top of the ninth inning allowed sophomore Michael O’Conor, senior Lucas Loos and senior Cole Gober to score along with Infante.

Along with sealing the win for the Panthers, this was also Infante’s first home run as a Panther.

Zaria Flippin can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].