The Ticker
  • Welcome back to the Daily Eastern News!
  • Check out our podcasts on Spotify!
  • May 24- Marqus McGlothan named interim women's basketball coach 🏀
  • June 28- Tara Archibald steps down as Eastern's softball coach
  • July 8- EIU announces computer refresh cycle 🖥️
  • Aug. 19- First day of class
  • Aug. 29- Football at the University of Illinois 😟
  • Check out our newsletters!

EIU Baseball drops second game against MSU

Eastern baseball lost their second game of a three-game series against Morehead State University on Saturday afternoon at Coaches Stadium. The final score was 18-10. (File)

Eastern lost their sixth consecutive game against Morehead State University 18-10 on Saturday afternoon at Coaches Stadium.

The Eagles scored nine runs early into the game (four runs in the first inning and five runs in the second inning) and kept their foot on the gas pedal throughout.

A three-run home run by Eastern’s senior first baseman Cole Gober, a two-run home run my sophomore third baseman Michael O’Conor and solo shots by senior outfielders Trenton Pallas and Lucas Loos still couldn’t keep up with the early dominance from the Eagles.

Eastern manager Jason Anderson was left frustrated after the game. He said there were no positives from this performance.

“They just took it from us early,” Anderson said. “It’s what we’ve talked about, which was trying to take wins from teams, and in the first inning, they took it from us.”

Panther junior right-handed pitcher Casey Perrenoud was dominant in his last four starts, but he didn’t have that dominance today. Starting for the Panthers today, Perrenoud was tagged for nine earned runs in two innings, and he also got the loss which evened up his record to 3-3.

Eastern currently occupies the last spot in the Ohio Valley Conference that would qualify for the tournament. The team behind them, Western Illinois, lost in extra innings to Southeast Missouri State, meaning the Panthers remain a game ahead of the Leathernecks.

Anderson isn’t concerned with what was going on elsewhere, only focusing on what Eastern can control.

“I’m not even worried about [Western Illinois],” Anderson said. “[We’re] just trying to do the best that we can and however it shakes out, that’s what it’s gonna be.”

Eastern falls to 15-32 overall and 9-14 in conference. The series finale between the Panthers and the Eagles will start at 1:00 p.m. at Coaches Stadium.

Eastern will honor its 13 seniors before the game.

Gabe Newman can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].