EDITORIAL: “Plan 2028” is promising, looking forward to improvements

Ellen Dooley

President Jay Gatrell gave his input on how he hopes to lead Eastern with the “Plan 2028” at his first Fall Update as president on Sept. 27. This plan spans the next five years and is a “blueprint for sustained success.”

One of the main two themes were “achieve.” One topic discussed in that theme was the multiple hubs on campus. Eastern received a one time payment of $500,000 from the state of Illinois to help achieve activities and part of that will go to these academic hubs.

There were three hubs created last year that include supports for Latinx, African American, and Asian American students. Eastern is now planning to launch a family academic hub in Booth Library for support student parents.

We at The News think is a definite positive. We appreciate the step forward in inclusion and providing spaces for students no matter their backgrounds. We hope they will be marketed to students so they utilize the resources available to them.

The second theme is “create.” Gatrell stated there will be investments made in the relaunch senior diversity and inclusion officer search. This is a position we believe is necessary for the success of Eastern. 

Having someone dedicated to thinking about equity and inclusion on campus should only benefit campus so everyone feels validated and heard.

In addition to this position, there is a one-time fund of $20,000 for faculty professional development and for the faculty development and innovation center.

Gatrell is also paying close attention to UPI partners and increasing funding in the research and study abroad opportunities.

After last semester, it is nice to see our faculty being thought of and advancing their own knowledge and skills to better educate students like us.

As an overall reflection of President Gatrell so far, we are very happy to see him active on campus in many different outlets.

He has held dinners for student leaders, getting to know organizations, being active at sporting games and other student events and most importantly getting to know the student body.

Another positive is seeing how he doesn’t focus on just student involvement.Over the weekend, he spent a good portion of the tailgate going around and talking to current and former students.

Lastly positive for us, he is very supportive of student media, no matter what we publish.

At The News, we hope that President Gatrell will stick to his word and this blueprint.

The Editorial Board can be reached at 581-2812.