History of April Fool’s Day

Josh Korneta, Verge Reporter

April, the month where Americans start hating on the IRS…again. April is also known for a few other important reasons, such as rain that takes a month to revive flowers and also April Fools’ Day.

Or, you know, that day where potentially anyone you see could act like your idiot younger sibling. April Fools’ Day, sometimes called All Fools’ Day, is celebrated largely in the United States, Canada and several European countries, with differing customs and traditions.

In fact, records show the holiday dating back to the early 18th century, where it was popularized by the British. But what about before? Where did the celebration of pranks originate?

Well, like many of the jokes played on the day, the origins of April Fools’ are questionable at best. One theory has it originating due to the decree by Pope Gregory XIII, who changed the Catholic calendar from the Roman Julian calendar, which celebrated New Year’s on April 1st, to the new Gregorian calendar.

Now, due to the slow pace that information was spread at the time, many had not heard of the change, believing that New Year’s was still celebrated in April.

It is said that because of the confusion, individuals who knew of the change would play jokes on those who didn’t.

Now, this is also considered a hoax, so joke’s on you. Another, much more credible theory has the holiday of playing pranks dating back, in a rudimentary form, to Ancient Rome.

The Romans called it Hilaria, which was celebrated on March 25, and it was a festival of merriment. In which case, it was more than likely spent in typical Roman party fashion, which we really can’t discuss here. A

nother theory places the origins in Geoffrey Chaucer’s “Canterbury Tales,” or that book in high school we both know you didn’t read, where in the Nun’s Priest’s Tale, a character is tricked by a fox on the first of April.

There are plenty of other theories, but we only have so much space, so let’s move on.

You might be wondering, “What sort of significance does this have in society?”

Well, if you’re like me and your grandma’s birthday falls on this day, then you better hope you remember.

You forgot last year, but SHE didn’t and she never forgave you. In the U.S., April Fools’ holds less significance in cultural practices and customs, and manifests itself more so in the media, with joke websites, radio programs and even Netflix categories.

The day has much greater significance abroad. Here’s some interesting facts:

● English speaking nations practice April Fools’ until noon, in which case, any prank played after results in the prankster being the fool.

● Historians trace the Hindu festival of Holi as being a precursor to April Fools’.

● In France, the tradition is called poisson d’avril, or April Fish, and part of the old custom was attempting to tape a fish on the back of someone without being noticed.

In unrelated news, Apple just announced the new BiPod, an iPod with legs, due for release in 2018. Maybe.

Josh Korneta  can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]