Zombies can’t make this movie interesting

Liz Dowell, Copy Editor

My friend and I were extremely excited when we heard that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies were being shown in theaters. We bought our tickets, got our popcorn, and settled in.

I was expecting a heroine movie after watching the trailer and seeing the sisters act all strong. 

However, that was the one thing I did not get. I sat through the entire movie, trying to figure out what exactly was going on.

One thing I should have done, as I figured out shortly into the film, is re-watch the original Pride and Prejudice.

The movie Pride and Prejudice and Zombies fell flat on it’s face. The only strong scene in the entire movie was when the women came busting into the ball and kicked zombie butt.

Otherwise it was a bunch of repeated puns, mixed up character lines, and it made Elizabeth Bennet look like a stuck up female.

The chemistry between Elizabeth Bennet, played by Lilly James and Mr. Darcy, played by Sam Riley, was unbelievable. I found myself rooting for one of their characters to be turned into a zombie, just to get some sort of emotional reaction out of this movie.

There are a bunch of scenes that left me guessing how did this character survive their enemy. One scene in fact was where Jane Bennet, played by Bella Heathcote, was riding to Mr. Bingley’s house and faced two zombies.

After killing the first zombie, the scene switches. Leaving the audience wondering what happened to Jane and how did she defeat the second zombie.

Parson Collins, played by Matt Smith, had to be the only character I actually liked. His character had similarities with the original character in Pride and Prejudice but was different enough to be acceptable for this movie. His character for me was believable.

If you woke up one day and realized that your world was over taken my zombies I’m sure you would be acting a little looney too. Parson Collins served as a good comic relief in this movie.

The rest of the characters in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies were so annoying it was sick to watch. Lady Catherine do Bourgh, played by Lena Headey, was so out of character that I honestly could not figure out who she was until I looked her up. Mrs. Bennet, played by Sally Phillips, was more annoying than her original character in Pride and Prejudice. I found myself wishing they would turn her into a zombie. At least Mr. Bingley was hot in this movie.

I understand that this movie was supposed to be satire. But after listening to the same jokes and puns, being confused about the characters, and struggling to hear what the actors were saying, I gave up trying to enjoy the movie.

It also did not help that my friend and I ended up sitting in front of a group of loud Eastern students who laughed at everything Matt Smith said only because he played one of the Doctors in Doctor Who. Bottom line, save yourself the money and just wait for this to come out on Netflix. If you have to go see it, watch the original Pride and Prejudice first.

I ended up watching the original movie as soon as I left the theater. The original is still the best. Also that way you can see everyone’s favorite scene, the one where they are married and sitting by the pond which Pride and Prejudice and Zombies left that one out.

Liz Dowell can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]