Students make Tu-tus for good cause

Kalyn Hayslett, Verge Editor

Tables covered in elastic bands and yards of tulle with busy students assembling their very own skirts describes how the Polar Plunge Committee’s TuTu Night will look on Friday.

The purpose of the tutu night is to encourage Polar Plunge participants to embrace this year’s Swan Lake theme. While providing assistance to those who do not know how to make them.

The goal is for the majority of participates to wear tutus and corresponding t-shirts when running into the icy cold Sarah Lake in Mattoon on March 5.

Student Council for Exceptional Children Secretary Brandon Mata said that tutus was the first aspect that was decided on which then inspired the overall Swan Lake theme.

Starting at 4:15 pm outside of Buzzard Hall auditorium all Polar Plunge participants are welcomed; however, everyone needs to provide their own materials and tools.

Three yards of tulle is suggested with enough elastic material to fit participates waist which all materials can be purchased at Wal-Mart or JoAnn fabrics.

Mata, is also the merchandising and apparel design association president, said there are many ways to make a tulle skit however he will instruct the participants to use one of the easier methods.

“We will cut stripes of tulle and loop them around the elastic band. It is the most efficient way for us because we don’t want to take too much of their time,” Mata said.

There is no prior sewing experience needed so participates just need to bring scissors and an open mind to try this tulle technique.

Sigma Rho Epsilon President Jessica Nolen said she wants everyone to leave with their very own tutu but most importantly have fun while doing it.

“The tutu night is just a bonding night for all of us to hang out and create the tutus together,” she said.

Anyone can participate in the Polar Plunge as long as they fundraise $100 so it can be difficult to know who exactly is taking the plunge.

The tutu night was created to help everyone that is plunging meet each other, create tutus and enjoy the refreshments.

Mata said he is mainly looking forward to having fun and getting to know everyone who he will be plunging with.

“It means that much more when I know the people who share the same purpose,” Mata said.

Best Buddies, Sigma Rho Epsilon and SCEC are three student organizations that share the same heartbeat for special education.

By coming together to not only organize the tutu Night but the polar plunge the members can raise more funds and awareness for the Spring Special Olympics in April.

Nolen said the common goal for all three organizations is to work more with each other and by collaborating with the tutu night they can accomplish that goal.

“Polar plunge is great way to raise awareness for Special Olympics and what so many of us are passionate about from the three organizations. We wouldn’t be jumping into a freezing cold lake for the heck of it,” Nolen said.

Kalyn Hayslett can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]