Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated host Asylum haunted house

Mariah Scott, Staff Reporter

The Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated began their week of Halloween events that started Monday October 26 and will continue through Saturday October 31st.

They plan to bring in a big scare on Saturday night with their asylum themed haunted house in Greek court.

Their theme came from the idea of the movie “The Visit” said Melanie Dyer, a senior mass communication major.

The movie the “The Visit” focuses on two younger children visiting their seemingly charming grandparents for the first time but notice very strange behavior and discover a terrifying secret.

Similar to the grandchildren’s exprience the asylum haunted house hope to leave their guest wondering if they will ever make it home.

This is not their first year bringing something like this to the campus said Dyer.

The sorority is known for their haunted houses on campus every year.

However, the big difference is the theme, which will be something new that they have never done before.

Coming up with the idea was a group effort with everyone sitting around thinking of ideas for the haunted house because they did not get a chance to do one last year. Therefore they wanted to do something fun, creative and new that they have never done before in the past.

Sticking with the theme, the inside of the house will be filled with patients that haven’t left the asylum as well as, nurses who died within the facility and leaving everything else as a surprises said Dyer.

The entire campus is welcomed to participate, students, faculty, staff and it is open to the Charleston and Mattoon community members who are interested.

The cost of the haunted house is free and is located in 1054 Greek Court.

“The cost is to basically have fun for Halloween, and just to give back to the community in the sense of providing them something to do that isn’t costly,” said Dyer.

Although, the sorority has not hosted a haunted house last year they keep hosting haunted houses annually.

Over years they have been very successful with the haunted house Dyer said. People have said to them how scary the inside has been and how they have done a good job making it believable Dyer said.

Now this year they plan to uphold their reputation and making each year a step scarier and even more creative to beat the standards the campus and community may have for them.

Mariah Scott can be reached at [email protected] or 581-5212