Baseball brings it in, wins first game

The Panthers won their first game of the season Sunday in Evansville, Ind.

Even beyond getting the first win, head coach Jim Schmitz said he thought the team played better overall last weekend than they did in their first six games against Southern Mississippi and Central Arkansas.

“I feel much better just about how we played,” Schmitz said. “Obviously winning is important, but I think we swung the bats well. We made a lineup switch down in Central Arkansas and I think the guys feel a little better about where they are in the lineup.”

Line up change helps offense

The Panthers scored eight runs against Evansville in Sunday’s double-header, by junior center fielder Zach Borenstein, who went 3-for-8 on the weekend with a pair of triples and three runs scored from the leadoff spot in the lineup.

Also leading the charge were red-shirt junior outfielder Ben Thoma and senior outfielder Shawn Ferguson, who each went 4-for-8 overall against Evansville. Thoma also drove in two runs and scored another while Ferguson drove in one run and scored another one. Three of Ferguson’s four hits went for extra bases as the senior hit a trio of doubles on the weekend.

Schmitz said he made some lineup alterations between games Sunday, including starting red-shirt junior David Ciaglia in left field and junior Brad Schweigert at second base. Schmitz said this was done and will continue to be done when the team faces a left-handed starting pitcher in order to help spark the offense against lefties.

“Last year when we played a lefty, we really went down pretty easily,” Schmitz said. “We feel fine that we at least have different options.”

Pitchers give strong showing

The Panther pitching staff had a great weekend, as the bullpen once again had a strong showing. Red-shirt junior Mike Hoekstra started Sunday’s first game and allowed one hit through his first four innings. Hoekstra struck out five batters before he allowed two runs on three hits in his fifth and final inning. Senior right-hander Brent McNeil worked four innings in relief of Hoekstra to get the save, allowing two runs on five hits over four innings of work while walking nobody and posting no strikeouts.

Junior lefty Adam Clark, sophomore right-hander Troy Barton and senior righty Matt Miller combined to throw four scoreless innings out of the ‘pen in Sunday’s second game, as Clark allowed the bullpen’s only two hits while striking out two and walking none over his two innings of work.

Fewer errors lead to more wins

The Panthers did not make any errors in Sunday’s opening game and they won by a score of 7-4, but the team lost the second game 4-1 after making two errors and allowing three unearned runs charged to freshman right-handed starting pitcher Luke Bushur.

Schmitz said his team cannot afford to give away runs and games like they did in the second game Sunday.

“We’ve got to find a way to win those kinds of games and not give them away,” Schmitz said. “That was just a gift. We’ve done it two other times this year. We’ve got to stop giving away gifts and understand we’ve got to play a little better.”

The Panthers will return to action this weekend as they travel to Tuscaloosa, Ala. to take on the Alabama Crimson Tide Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with Friday’s first pitch set for 6:05 p.m. Central Time.

Brad Kupiec can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected]

Baseball brings it in, wins first game

Baseball brings it in, wins first game

Sophomore second baseman Ryan Dineen throws for the out at first base April 2, 2010 at Coaches Stadium. The baseball team will travel to Tuscaloosa, Ala. this weekend. (Audrey Sawyer/The Daily Eastern News)