‘It’s going to be a real dogfight’

Eastern head track coach Tom Akers said his biggest concerns this week are injuries.

Those injuries could lead to the downfall of the Eastern track and field teams as they try to defend their Ohio Valley Conference Outdoor Championships today and Saturday in Cookeville, Tenn.

Both Eastern teams swept the indoor OVC titles in February and will look to do the same this weekend.

His teams have been able to still roll capturing a combined four team titles at the Western Illinois Lee Calhoun Invitational and Southern Illinois Edwardsville’s Gateway Classic this spring.

The Panthers did the same thing last year (both teams won at WIU and the men’s team won at Memphis, while the women’s team was second) en route to both team titles at the OVC outdoor championships.

Track events start at 2:15 p.m. today, and field events start at 1 p.m. today. Track events continue at 10 a.m. Saturday, and field events continue at 8 a.m. Saturday.

All events are at Tucker Stadium. It’s the first time in 32 yeas that Tennessee Tech has hosted the OVC meet and the first-ever for the women’s division.

Running and jumping events will be held in Tucker Stadium, while the throwing events (discus, javelin, hammer and shot put) will take place on the field adjacent to the Tennessee Tech softball field, just west of Willow Avenue.

“We’re on a roll,” Akers said. “We hope that trend continues. Our work will be cut on that end. You gotta watch them all. If you don’t score your points, then your rival will.”

The women’s team is seeking its third conference title in history with outdoor titles in 2007 and 2009. The men’s team has won 10 outdoor titles.

There will be five men’s teams competing and nine women’s teams competing.

Since SIUE is not a member of the OVC yet, the Eastern men’s track team has 12 of the top marks in the OVC heading into the meet.

The Eastern women’s track team has five of the top marks in the OVC heading into the meet.

Last year Eastern finished with 227 points to win while Eastern Kentucky was in second with 141, followed by Southeast Missouri with 124, Tennessee State with 45, Texas-Pan American with 26 and Morehead State with 6.

Texas-Pan American is not competing as an associate member of the OVC anymore.

At last year’s meet on the women’s side the Panthers finished with 188 points while Southeast Missouri placed second with 155,

Murray State finished third with 91.5 points, Jacksonville State followed in fourth with 78.5 and Austin Peay rounded out the top five with 76.5.

“I think we’re solid,” Akers said. “Some event areas are stronger than others. I don’t think we have a weak event. I’m pleased with we’re where at.”

The indoor championships were a close call for both squads, but they have returned red-shirt sophomore Zye Boey, senior David Holm and senior Shawana Smith for the outdoor season to help them.

The women’s team edged Eastern Kentucky 142-128 in the team standings and the men’s team battled past Southeast Missouri 178-150.5 at the indoor championships.

Eastern Kentucky finished third with 88.5 points and Tennessee State was fourth with 71 in the men’s race.

“We’re going to have our work cut out for us in the outdoor season,” Akers said in March. “It was not an easy victory by any means on either side of the ball.”

On the women’s side, Southeast Missouri finished third with 93 points followed by Austin Peay (72), Murray State (67), Jacksonville State (54), Tennessee State (42) and Tennessee Tech (36).

“It’s going to be a real dogfight,” Akers said.

Of the weekly outdoor awards this season, the Panthers have earned eight awards among seven different people.

“This (year) is one of our strongest teams,” Akers said.

After the OVC championships, the Panthers will send athletes Indiana’s Billy Hayes Classic on May 7 in Bloomington, Ind.

Kevin Murphy can be reached

at 581-7944

or [email protected]

‘It’s going to be a real dogfight’

Its going to be a real dogfight

Junior Justin Washington throws a shot put during practice on April 22. The men and women’s track teams are competing in the Outdoor Track and Field Championships this weekend at Tucker Stadium in Cookeville, Tenn. (Danny Damiani / The Daily Eastern News)