Pitching gives up lead, game to Sycamores

A 5-4 loss to Indiana State Thursday in Terre Haute, Ind., had the Eastern softball players sick to their stomachs, after blowing a four-run lead in the fifth inning.

Eastern head coach Kim Schuette said the loss makes her sick to her stomach, knowing the Panthers should’ve walked out of Terre Haute victorious.

Freshman pitcher Hailie Ray pitched 2 2/3 innings, before being pulled from the game with two outs in the fifth inning, having given up five runs.

“Hailie threw two great innings, then something happened – a walk with two outs – and she didn’t throw well from there,” Schuette said.

After giving up two one-out hits to the Sycamores, Ray was one out away from stranding two Indiana State runners on base.

But a walk to freshman catcher Alex Lucas loaded the bases, and the Sycamores came up with hits from freshmen third baseman Kellie Szablewski, right fielder Kim Pierce and sophomore Alyssa Doyle to break open a one-run lead.

Despite spreading 10 hits, the Panthers were unable to answer, losing 5-4.

“It’s disappointing when you know you should

have gotten a win,” Schuette said.

Freshman pitcher Natalie Wunderlich came in for Ray in the fifth and walked the first batter, but struck out the second.

“Natalie did pretty well,” Schuette said.

Even though the Panthers lost, Schuette said she was impressed with her team’s batting Thursday.

“We came out of the gates and hit the ball pretty well,” Schuette said. “We did well offensively.”

The Panthers got big hitting performances from many different outlets, which Schuette said she really liked.

Senior right fielder Denee’ Menzione was 2-for-3 against the Sycamores, while junior third baseman Kiley Holtz was 3-for-4 with one RBI.

Also, senior centerfielder Angie Danca was 1-for-2 with a walk, junior first baseman Melinda Jackson was 1-for-3 scoring a run, sophomore designated player Ashley Anderton was 2-for-3 with two RBIs and freshman second baseman Ally Seplak was 1-for-2 with one RBI.

Aside from the hitting success, Schuette said the team missed two crucial sacrifice bunts that would’ve boosted the Panthers’ offense even more.

Junior pitcher Amber May started the game, pitching two shutout innings and giving up one hit.

“Amber was relaxed,” Schuette said. “She threw a good warm-up and came out and pitched relaxed.”

With good plate performances and having used all three pitchers, Schuette said her team is ready for an important Ohio Valley Conference series against Austin Peay.

“I think we are very prepared for this weekend,” Schuette said. “We’ll be facing a similar pitcher against Austin Peay like we faced today.”

Having had a great practice Wednesday, and preparing a few thing to do in today’s practice, Schuette is confident in her team going into the Austin Peay series.

The Panthers will host the Governors for a three-game weekend series beginning Saturday with a doubleheader scheduled for a 1 p.m. first pitch. The series will conclude Sunday with a noon start time at Williams Field.

Alex McNamee can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected]

Pitching gives up lead, game to Sycamores

Freshman outfielder Melise Brown slides into second base April 10 during a doubleheader against Eastern Kentucky University at Williams Field. (Danny Damiani / The Daily Eastern News)