Softball: Panthers look to snap streak

Maybe Southeast Missouri boasting a league-worst 4.46 ERA will help the Eastern softball team snap out of its five-game losing streak, its longest of the season.

The Panthers get a chance to test their offense when they play the Redhawks in an Ohio Valley Conference doubleheader at 3 p.m. today at Williams Field.

The Panthers (24-19, 8-6 OVC) have scored only eight runs in the past four games despite getting 19 hits. They have left 21 Panthers on base.

“Every day’s a new day,” said Eastern head coach Kim Schuette. “The sun comes up, and we’re undefeated today. We’re the same team that started off 7-0. We’re the same team that people fear. That’s what we have to focus on.”

The Redhawks (18-19, 7-8) have won six games in a row thanks in part to freshman pitcher Giana Zimmerman (11-8, 2.96 ERA). Zimmerman and Eastern sophomore Amber May (17-12, 1.72 ERA) are two of the top newcomers to the conference.

Finding a second pitcher is not easy in softball.

Eastern senior pitcher Kathleen Jacoby (6-7, 4.51 ERA) is a solid No. 2 for the Panthers.

“I think (Jacoby) is going to come on these last two weeks and help (May) out as well,” Schuette said.

For the Redhawks, it is going to be either freshman pitcher Stefani Barnes (3-4, 5.22 ERA) or sophomore pitcher Whitney Dupuis (4-7, 6.52 ERA).

The No. 1 pitcher is always the key to the season.

May has been a force this season for the Panthers, and she said Saturday was an eye-opener for her against Morehead State.

She has put her name in the Eastern record books and will continue to do so for the next two seasons.

The Heartland College transfer and National Junior College Athletic Association All-American originally committed to Eastern, but because of a knee injury in high school she decided to wait a year and went to Heartland College her freshman year.

“She’s been our rock, our foundation on defense,” Schuette said. “She’s been able to keep us in games. The key for her is not to get frustrated.”

May ranks second in the OVC in wins (17), second in strikeouts (155), first in saves (3), first in appearances (37), first in shutouts (6) and third in ERA entering the week.

May knew it was not going to be as easy once she came to Division I level after having a successful year at junior college and a state championship in high school.

But so far she seems to be adjusting well, which she said has worked out fine.

You can take a look at her stats.

May’s victories rank her seventh all-time at Eastern. Her 195 1/3 innings rank her eighth all-time in a season.

May’s 21 complete games rank 10th all-time in a season. May only needs one more save to tie the single-season record.

She ranks fourth in strikeouts and appearances, and is tied for 10th in shutouts – all records in a single season.

“I think I do better under pressure,” May said. “People know what I throw now. It makes it more fun, more of a challenge when I do strike them out.”

Kevin Murphy can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Softball: Panthers look to snap streak

Softball: Panthers look to snap streak

Eastern sophomore Amber May pitches during the first game of a doubleheader against Morehead State Saturday at Williams Field. (Erin Matheny/The Daily Eastern News)