Football: Early enrollment benefits defensive tackle Jake Odom

Eastern freshman defensive tackle Jake Odom ended his high school season at Lakota West High School, in West Chester, Ohio, on Oct. 24 with a 20-19 win against Lakota East.

Only six months later, Odom is playing against what he calls “full-grown men” more than 230 miles away from his home everyday in practice with the Eastern football team.

After graduating after the fall semester from high school, Odom enrolled early at Eastern to start school and prepare for the upcoming football season.

He said he loves the adjustment and spring football has been one of the most fun experiences of his life.

“I have always been a guy that I go to wherever the best opportunity is for me,” Odom said. “Whether I have to go away from home, it’s where the best opportunity is.”

He said he realized when he was done with football in high school that he could graduate, so it would be a good idea to enroll early.

So far, Odom said he has adjusted well to life in college.

College is less class and allows him more time to do homework.

He is taking 15 credits this semester and will take 12 credits in the fall.

Odom said he will most likely be red-shirted next season, but he thinks this is a good move for him.

“It means that I will have five years to play four, which will give me a chance to work on my master’s degree,” Odom said. “It will give me a chance to work for a year-and-a-half before ever playing in a game situation, so I can work to be the best defensive lineman I can be.”

Eastern defensive coordinator Roc Bellantoni said Eastern has not had a player enroll early in a number of years, but it helps out both the player and the coaching staff.

“The first semester can be rough on freshman because you’re in a new situation and you have to deal with schoolwork and football,” Bellantoni said. “He will definitely be ahead of every other freshman in terms of experience on the football field, friends and with the playbook.”

Bellantoni said with freshmen coming in, coaches cannot anticipate what they can contribute in there first season. With Odom, they will have the whole spring to evaluate him and see what he can contribute to the team.

Odom said the transition of style of play from the high school game to the college game has been different, but his teammates and coaches have been with him to help him out.

“The players on the team have been great,” Odom said. “They are very helpful and have been there to help me whether it be with technique, the playbook or even homework.”

Two players who Odom said have helped him immensely have been junior defensive tackles Andre Lima and Spyros Bazigos.

Odom said in high school he played a different style than what he has been used to so far in spring practice.

“In high school I was always the guy to go in with head down to kill people,” Odom said. “Here, I have to be more of a finesse guy because I’m so much smaller than most of the guys on the field. I’m working on more moves and I’m more than just the guy who runs in and knocks them down.”

Lima and Bazigos have told Odom to play fast, always keep your feet moving and keep your hands up.

Odom said he has started to use some of these techniques and has been successful in practice.

Dan Cusack can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Football: Early enrollment benefits defensive tackle Jake Odom

Jake Odom graduated from high school in December. The freshman defensive tackle is currently participating in spring practice. (Molly Clutter/The Daily Eastern News)