Baseball: Low-level Blackburn no problem

Senior third baseman Jordan Tokarz hit two first inning two-run home runs as the Eastern baseball team extended its home winning streak to nine games with a 24-4 win against Division-III Blackburn College Wednesday at Coaches Stadium.

The Panthers trailed 2-0 after the top half of the first inning after Blackburn sophomore first baseman Josh Holman hit a two-run single after three walks, but Eastern responded with 11 runs to put the game out of reach early.

After Tokarz’s first home run, senior second baseman Zach Skidmore went yard to extend Eastern’s lead to 3-2.

The runs kept coming as senior center fielder Ryan Lindquist hit a two-run, ground-rule double with the bases loaded.

Freshman third baseman Zach Borenstein had an RBI on a fielder’s choice and Tokarz hit his second home run of the inning. Junior designated hitter Richie Derbak and junior right fielder Chris Ulrey, knocked in the final runs of the inning.

Tokarz said they were just throwing him fastballs and he took advantage of it.

“We come out here in these midweek games, and we have to get some work done,” he said. “We have some people that are kind of hurt right now so a lot of bench guys came in and hit the ball.”

The Panthers (26-6) added one more in the second, but opened it up again in the third with four runs with a two-run RBI double by Ulrey and a two-run home run by sophomore catcher Bart Thyer.

Thyer went 3-for-4 with three RBIs and two home runs.

He said he cannot remember the last time he hit two home runs in one game, but this was the first time he did it in college.

“The first home run they threw me a slider, back door and the second one was a fastball up and in and I just turned on it,” Thyer said.

Blackburn College (10-13) scored two runs in the sixth off a home run by third baseman junior Adam Cadle, but Eastern combined for eight runs in the fifth, sixth and seventh for the decisive home victory.

In addition to Tokarz and Thyer, four other Eastern players went deep including sophomore shortstop Cam Strang, junior left fielder Curt Restko and Skidmore.

Eastern head coach Jim Schmitz said he was happy with his teams’ performance, especially since a lot of players got to play in the game.

“This is why we play these midweek games we get to play a lot of people,” Schmitz said. “We looked sharp pitching-wise.”

Sophomore right-hander Mike Martin (4-0) pitched three innings, allowing two hits, two runs, three walks and three strikeouts.

Sophomore right-hander Matt Miller allowed one hit in two innings of work with one strikeout.

Schmitz said he thought Miller did a fantastic job, which is good because the Panthers will need him later in the season.

Freshman Chad Cronin picked up the loss for Blackburn as he went one-third of an inning, allowing four hits, five earned runs with one walk and one strikeout.

Eastern’s next game will be 1 p.m. Saturday when they host Jacksonville State for a doubleheader at Coaches Stadium.

Dan Cusack can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Baseball: Low-level Blackburn no problem

Sophomore shortstop Cam Strang throws the ball to second base during Wednesday’s 24-4 victory over Blackburn College at Coaches Stadium. The Panthers host Ohio Valley Conference favorite Jacksonville State Saturday and Sunday at Coaches Stadium. (Audrey S