Skip to Main Content

• Welcome back to the Daily Eastern News!
  • Check out our podcasts on Spotify!
  • Sept. 17- Men's soccer at Wright State ended in a 2-2 draw
  • Sept. 19- Jazz showcase concert in Doudna at 7:30 p.m.
  • Sept. 20- Volleyball begins play at WKU tournament
  • Sept. 21- Volleyball ends play at WKU tournament
  • Sept. 21- Football at Illinois State kicks off at 6 p.m.
  • Sept. 22- Softball vs. John A. Logan College at 11 a.m.
  • Sept. 22- Softball vs. Bradley at 4 p.m.
  • Sept. 22- Fall equinox
  • Sept. 28- 8th annual Tour De Charleston bicycle race
  • Soccer standings: Women's at 2-4-3, Men's at 1-3-1
  • Football standings: 1-2 after win over Indiana State
  • Check out our newsletters!

Fences encircle Alumni Quad

Fences have surrounded Eastern’s newest construction site: The Alumni Quad.

Beginning Monday, Trucks zipped away loads of dirt, leaving a trail of dust and debris on what will be, in six-to-eight weeks, a finished product.

The quad addition has been a part of the master plan approved in 1999. The Alumni Quad area was mapped out as a plaza, said Steve Shrake, manager of design and construction.

Part of the quad’s purpose is to enhance the entrance to Booth Library, Shrake said.

“It seemed like a logical gathering area for students and faculty,” he said.

The clock tower was the first step in the plan’s production, but the money wasn’t there for development, Shrake said.

The Alumni Association has donated up to $75,000 to the $130,000 project, said Steve Rich, executive director of the Alumni Association.

The board of directors decided to add to the quad, originally called the Library Quad. It was renamed the Alumni Quad in fall 2005 with the addition of the clock tower.

The quad will have two brick sidewalks that meet and continue around the clock tower. It’s been nearly impossible to grow grass on the current quad because of crossing traffic, Shrake said.

One feature that the construction will not change is the seating around the clock tower.

The architect’s plan and artist rendering show benches around the quad, but those will be added as alumni funds are donated.

Limestone planting areas will also surround the sidewalk. Once finished, the quad can be compared to the Commemorative Courtyard, both using brick and greenery.

The production should be completed before homecoming, Shrake said.

Morehead-Gruber architects in Champaign mapped out the plans for the plaza.

“I think it’s going to be a great space once it’s fully developed,” Shrake said.

Mark Hudson, director of housing and dining, said he’s interested in the curb appeal of the campus. He said once finished, the quad will add to the look of campus.

“Before, the quad looked undone,” he said.

As far as students’ complaints about fences and construction, Hudson said additions could be viewed as a good thing.

It’s like recarpeting, he said. If a change is made over the summer, students come back and think that’s how it always was and accept the carpet.

But if people see change, they see the before, process during, and step over the carpet to see the new product.

“Now you’re standing on it,” he said, which gives students a better idea of what’s been added or changed.

As much construction as possible was completed over the summer, Hudson said, like room renovations. But some things simply can’t be finished in one summer.

Fences encircle Alumni Quad

Fences encircle Alumni Quad

The Alumni Quad, located inbetween Booth Library and Lumpkin Hall, is under construction to turn it into a commerative square.Carrie Hollis/The Daily Eastern News