EIU thrower Iverson shares shot put technique in Q&A

EIU Athletics
Track and field senior thrower Taylor Iverson throws a shot put .

Senior EIU track and field thrower Taylor Iverson answered some questions ranging from a track and field athlete she looks up to to if she likes pineapples on her pizza. 

Q: How has the season been going?  

A: “It’s been going well actually. We just got a new coach, and I feel like I’ve been really growing under his coaching. I’m very excited to see how the rest of the season goes. It’s my senior year, and I feel like I’ve been growing at a constant rate, so it should really be a good outcome.” 

Q: What are your goals for the season?  

A: “First off, to have fun. That’s always a go-to goal of mine, to just enjoy what I’m doing. Aside from that, just throw really far. If a win comes from that, I’ll take that too.” 

Q: Favorite meal before a meet?  

A: “Definitely a sub. I prefer Jimmy John’s slim four with mayo packets on the side.” 

Q: Favorite snack before a meet?  

A: “I like the Nature Valley oatmeal bar. Also, some honey roasted cashews.” 

Q: Do you hold any records at EIU? 

A: “I am #9 of all time for the hammer throw and #9 all time for weight throw so top 10 for both.” 

Q: What is your favorite Olympic team? 

A: “Of course the US Olympic teams, specifically for the throwers you have people like Valarie Allman, DeAnna Price, Gwen Berry and Raven Saunders just to name a few.”  

Q: Which technique do you usually like to throw? (spin, glide etc.)  

A: “For shot put, I’ve tried to do the rotational throw. Gave it a try for 6 months and it did not go well lol. So I went back to my roots, the glide, and I’ve been throwing very well so far.” 

Q: Postgame meal?  

A: “I love making homemade burrito bowls or red sauce pasta.” 

Q: What track and field athlete do you look up to?  

A: “From a throwing aspect, DeAnna Price. She is such a sweet person and an amazing thrower. I also like Dawn Harper. She’s so sweet and funny in person as well. I love how she’s just unapologetically herself.” 

Q: What sport would you do other than track and field? 

A: “I wouldn’t necessarily rather do another sport, but if it so happened that I wasn’t a track athlete, I’d probably say volleyball or basketball.” 

Q: Ice Mountain or purified water? 

A: “Definitely purified. I feel like Ice Mountain is thick. It doesn’t make sense, but it almost feels like I have to chew it.” 

Q: Pancakes or waffles?  

A: “Definitely waffles, add some whipped cream and fresh strawberries. It’s top tier.” 

Q: Which teammate would you let get the aux?  

A: “For the girls, definitely Caroline [Lendy]. Her music taste is unmatched. For guys, probably Jacob [Maxwell] or Matthew [Gladieux].” 

Q: Do you think the Earth is round or flat?  

A: “It’s been proven that it’s round, so I’m going to stick with that.” 

Q: Favorite sport other than track and field?  

A: “Softball for sure; I used to be a really good short stop. I honestly miss it.” 

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?  

A: “To get to the other side of course. Probably had some business to tend to lol.” 

Q: How long do you think you’d survive in a zombie apocalypse?  

A: “When my flight or fight kicks in, I choose to fight every time. I’d have to be sick as a dog for a zombie to catch me. But I would say that’s only if it’s ‘The Walking Dead’ zombies. If it’s a ‘Last of Us’ zombie, like a clicker, I’m done. Even worse a ‘World War Z’ zombie. I’d be gone the moment I see a zombie sprinting towards me at like 30 mph.”  

Q: Do you like pineapple on your pizza?  

A: “Absolutely not. I’m a sausage or pepperoni type of person.” 

Q: If you could have a superpower, what would it be?  

A: “Probably to grant wishes, if that’s a superpower, or be really smart, but not go crazy smart with the right amount/photographic memory.”  

Q: How do you balance being a student athlete?  

A: “Honestly, my first two years were really rough. I somehow managed to balance working, practice and school. I literally was losing hope, but as time went on, I became better with my time management skills and slowly got the hang of it. To sum it up, I’d say practice was the biggest help.”  

Q: What do you put in your ramen noodles?  

A: “Cajun seasoning, a dash of onion and garlic powder, parsley and Louisiana hot sauce. I also like it with a boiled egg or two.”  

Q: What is your favorite memory of the team? 

A: “When we went to Kentucky last year for a meet and they had a hot air balloon fair going on. We all decided to get on a couple rides, and it was so much fun. Definitely a core memory.”  

Q: What would you tell your younger self?  

A: “Despite the rough time that you had in your first two years of college, you made it. You graduate with your Bachelor’s in two and a half months. As much as you wanted to give up and throw in the towel, you’re here. I’m so proud of you for not giving up when things got hard, and the bad days outweighed the good.” 

Payton Liggins can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].