Panthers of the Week: Lesego Maloma, Natalie Mitchem

Lesego Maloma (Eastern Illinois University Athletics)

The male Panther of the Week is going to senior forward Lesego Maloma from the men’s soccer team.

Maloma started the game off strong for the Panthers by scoring the only goal in the 1-0 victory Monday night against the Governors State Jaguars.

In the seventh minute of the game, senior forward Sam Eccles kicked the ball from the left side of the field to Maloma.

Maloma kicked the ball from the penalty box, but Jaguar goalkeeper, Marcol Salom Chandre, could not stop the ball as it went into the goal.

The rest of the match remained scoreless for both teams following the goal from Maloma.

Maloma played for 28 minutes.

This win was not only the first win of the season but also the home opener for the Panthers.

Before he joined the Panthers in 2022, Maloma played two seasons at Southeastern Community College.

Natalie Mitchem (7) (Ashanti Thomas)

The female Panther of the Week is going to graduate outside/opposite hitter Natalie Mitchem from the volleyball team.

Mitchem set a career-high of 25 kills against Valparaiso University Friday evening during the EIU Panther Classic.

The 6’2” outside/opposite hitter from Bolingbrook has an average attack percentage of .457 after the three games she played in throughout the Panther Classic.

Mitchem ended the EIU Panther Classic with 51 kills, 15 against the University of Louisiana-Monroe and an additional 32 against the University of Akron.

Mitchem also ended the tournament with 11 blocks and two digs.

Before she joined the Panthers this season, Mitchem played for the Ball State University Cardinals for four years.

Mitchem was named to the Mid-American Conference All-Conference team during her time with the Cardinals.

Mitchem’s career-high in kills before Friday’s game against Valparaiso was 21 kills against the South Florida Bulls in 2019.

The Sports Staff can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].