Push yourself at the gym, but not too hard

Karena Ozier, Columnist

There are lots of different types of people in this world. If I were to just focus on the types of people that I see at the gym on a regular basis, I would be able to break down the vast majority of people into one category: people who push themselves. 

The people who fill the gym atmosphere have a sort of determination to them.

They want to strive to reach a goal in fitness. In doing this they push themselves to do the workouts that leave them looking like they just ran a marathon and are covered in sweat. 

While it is good to have self-determination, pushing yourself too far can be dangerous.

There is a healthy amount of exercise and anything beyond that is over doing it. 

According to an article titled “Can You Exercise Too Much?” by Lifescience.com, “exercise provides many health benefits, but at some point working out too hard or too long increases risk of injury and other adverse effects.”

As someone who has recently pushed myself too hard at they gym, I found myself in pain and weakened even more because I began to get sick. I started to feel my body getting weaker and increase in pain the next day.

At first, I thought that I was just sore from doing different exercises than normal so I kept pushing myself. Within a few days, I began to realize that I was getting sick. 

I then pushed myself even harder to exercise hard with a weak body. Bad decision. I overworked my body which ultimately could have been why it took longer to get back to normal. 

If I hadn’t ignored how I felt and tried to keep pushing myself, I could have addressed the sickness when it started. I hate being sick as I am sure everyone else does too. 

It might be hard to allow yourself to rest instead of reaching your goal faster, but in the end your body will thank you. 

It is OK to allow yourself some rest; in fact, it is encouraged. Now, don’t get me wrong, exercise is good for you. According to Lifescience.com, “Generally, any exercise is better than none, and more exercise is usually better within reason.” 

It’s OK to take a break and recover at where you are. Be aware of your body and what it needs. Take a break and relax when you need.

Karena Ozier is a sophomore elementary education major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].