Homecoming court crowned Thursday night

Elizabeth Wood

Alex Smith, a junior accounting major, and football player, hands a goodie bag to Eastern’s Little Prince, Mason Koehler, during coronation and pep rally in McAfee Gym on Thursday night. During the pep rally, sororities, fraternities, cheerleaders, and the pink panthers competed in games to win prizes.

Corryn Brock, News Editor

The 2019 Homecoming Court was announced at the Homecoming pep rally Thursday evening.

Brittany Britton, a junior sociology major representing the Black Student Union, was crowned Homecoming Queen and Isaiah McClarien,  a junior sports and business management double major representing the Alpha Phi Alpha, won the title of Homecoming King.

Chateau Fouchea, a sophomore criminology major who represented Sigma Nu, won the title of Homecoming Prince and Diana Argueta, a sophomore majoring in graphic design and Spanish who represented Latin American Student Organization, won Homecoming Princess.

Homecoming Queen first runner-up was Nicole Severson representing Alpha Gamma Delta and Homecoming King first runner-up was Brody Donsbach representing Sigma Phi Epsilon.

Oluwafemi Usikalu
Samira Abdoulaye-Pedila, the 2018 homecoming princess, hugs Diana Argueta as she is crowned Eastern’s homecoming princess during coronation and the pep rally in McAfee Gym on Thursday night.

Latricia Booker, sophomore majoring in pre-nursing who represented the Black Student Union, was the Homecoming Princess runner-up and there was no runner-up for Homecoming Prince because there was only one candidate running for the title.

The 2019 Faculty Homecoming King and Queen was John Willems and Lauri DeRuiter-Willems.

The 2019 Little Prince and Princess are Mason Koehler and Sofie Reifsteck.

Britton said she enjoyed the moments leading up to coronation

“I’m really excited, I’m really grateful to have the support system that I have, all of my family and friends that supported me. I’m just really happy,” Britton said. “The best part was campaigning and getting out there and getting my name out there and making sure people knew who I was and who I represented.”

McClarien said he was surprised to hear his name called for Homecoming King.

“I’m really happy. I didn’t know I was going to win and I can’t stop smiling from ear-to-ear, McClarien said. “This is really surreal. This is my second year here and to actually be Homecoming King my second year at Eastern is really tremendous for me.”

McClarien said he liked being around the other candidates.

“The best part of Homecoming is just the energy of everybody and all the support from everybody who was running for prince, king, queen princess,” McClarien said. “This weekend I’m looking forward to a W from the football team, I’m really hoping that they win not just because this is Homecoming but also to get the feel of Homecoming on campus as a king.”

Argueta said she wasn’t expecting to win.

“I was really surprised, I’m not going to lie, I know that 60 percent of it was the interview so I know that I did okay in the interview but if anything I’m just really glad that I had all of my friends and all of my people supporting me because at the end of the day it’s all about representation,” Argueta said.

Argueta said what she is looking forward to the most is representing her peers.

“I’m really excited for EIU and the rest of the year in because like I said I decided to run because I wanted to bring representation to my people, to EIU and my Latinx students out there and now I’m just really excited to see what I’m able to do now that I was crowned princess,” Argueta said. “I’m really excited that I have this title and that it’s not for popularity, but it is to make a difference and that’s what I want to do.”

Homecoming King, Queen, Prince, Princess, Faculty King, Faculty Queen, Little Prince and Little Princess will be featured in the Homecoming Parade Saturday.

Abdoulaye-Pedila said she was happy to see a diverse court. 

“I’m really happy for the Homecoming Court, there’s so much diversity on the court,” Abdoulaye-Pedila said. “Last year it was an all black court for the first time, now we have so much diversity on the court so I’m super excited for this year’s court and I know each and every single one of them is going to represent the crown really well.” 

The remaining runner-ups included:  

KING CANDIDATES- Dalton Davison (Delta Chi), Jeremy Arzuaga (Sigma Nu), Tim Uphoff (Pi Kappa Alpha), Asante Willis (Couture Models) 

QUEEN CANDIDATES- Ashley Wright (Alpha Sigma Tau), Jessie Clearwater (Alpha Phi), Alyssa Ferchen (Sigma Kappa), Alexis Haley (Kappa Delta), Alyssa Tripod (Delta Delta Delta) Melanie Jones (Sigma Sigma Sigma), Amanda Catlin (Alpha Sigma Alpha), Morgan Hasler (Delta Zeta), Linda King (Couture Models), Kacie Cachera (Phi Sigma Pi), Katey Sauerwein (Thomas Hall) 

PRINCESS CANDIDATES- Meredith Vandeventer (Alpha Gamma Delta), Alyssa Bitner (Kappa Delta), Chloe Meitz (Delta Delta Delta), Taylor Comer (Alpha Sigma Tau), Jennifer Reid (Sigma Sigma Sigma), Rain Sanburg (Alpha Phi), Kiersten Wascher (Sigma Kappa), Sarah Schultz (Alpha Sigma Alpha), Jacqueline Williams (Lawson Hall)

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]