‘Sounds of the World’ to represent four countries

Darronte Matthews, Verge Reporter

Eastern’s melting pot is mixing up a foreign treat as its international students bring their culture to the small town with a blend of singing, dancing and musical performances.

For the second time this year, The Association of International Students is putting on the two hour “Sounds of the World” event at 7 p.m. Friday in the Martin Luther King Jr. Grand Ballroom.

This event will feature students representing four different countries: Nepal, China, India and Korea. Saudi Arabia was expected to be included, but due to the students not showing up to the auditions, that country will not be included. 

The is not only a performance special where attendees simply watch foreign dances and musical performances, but there will also be four social activities for everyone to participate in such as musical chairs, guessing games and cultural trivia.   

Tickets are $2 before the event at the International office and $3 at the door.

Kevin Vicker, the director of the Office International Students and Scholars, said the event is normally annual; however due to its popularity last semester, it was included again this semester.

Vicker said this is not only a learning experience for everyone, but also a chance to simply blend the different cultures together and have a true sense of community.

“It’s a chance to really learn about other cultures, but also to interact and have the feeling of community with the international students,” Vicker said.

While this event will showcase the diversity on campus in an entertaining way, Vicker says it also gives international students the opportunity to form relationships with other students on campus and not simply with those from their respective countries.

Shifa Shamim, senior accounting major, is an international student and the president of ASI and she sees the event as pure entertainment while learning is merely up to those who choose to do so.

“Learning is up to people, but our purpose is to entertain and socialize,” Shamim said. “Our intention is not to educate people.”

Shamim who came to the United States from India in 2011, said because of worries about the English language and being understood, normally international students can be hesitant about mingling with the national students when they first come to the States. However, none of that matters once they get comfortable.

“Initially they do hold back a bit when they have worries about people understanding their accents,” Shamim said. “But ultimately they just get along with everyone.”   

Shamim said her main intention for people is to come relax, enjoy mingle and make friendships.

Sudip Paudel, a graduate biology major, is another international student who said this will be his second time at “Sounds of the World” event.

“I’ve always participated in cultural events because I wanted to learn cultural aspects of America,” Paudel said. “But I like participating in this event because I want people to know a little bit of my country Nepal.”

Last semester, Paudel played the flute and Madal drums from Nepal, but this year he plans to sing a traditional Nepali song that he’s translated in English.

Paudel said when he thinks of this event, he thinks of the saying, “If you come out of the pond, you will see the world.”

“When I left Nepal, I saw the world and I have a feeling that everyone is my people and not just those from Nepal,” Paudel said. “I would like people to come out of the pond and see the world too and this is a great opportunity for them to do that.”

Darronte Matthews can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].