Symphony, guests to honor George Gershwin

Darronte Matthews, Verge Reporter

Submitted Photo
EIU Wind Symphony with Jonathan Bowman

Get ready to end the last Friday in March relishing in a fusion of popular jazz and classical melodies.

Eastern’s Wind Symphony is putting on its first Gershwin Gala concert at 7:30 p.m. in the Dvorak Concert Hall at the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

The performance is almost entirely dedicated to the work of deceased American composer, George Gershwin.

Gershwin’s compositions during the early 20th century, which were not initially favored, soon became classic and highly influential musical arrangements.

Dan Crews, Director of Patron Services, said Gershwin, in a sense, made jazz legitimate and his music was chosen to be performed because of his great influence on generations of musicians.

“George Gershwin and his older brother, Ira, are recognized as some of the most famous composers that ever lived,” Crews said. “Their music is still being played and still influencing composers today.”

Also adding to the excitement, the Wind Symphony will have some accompanying guests performing in the Gala to help in executing some of Gershwin’s most famous pieces.

Music faculty member Dr. Jonathan Bowman will perform one of Gershwin’s most well-known pieces, “Rhapsody in Blue.”

Also returning to Eastern is former Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Humanities, Dr. Patricia Poulter, who will sing one of Gershwin’s classic love songs “Someone to Watch Over Me.”

Crews praised Bowman’s and Poulter’s musical talents and said their performances are going to knock the audience’s socks off.

“Jonathan Bowman is a real gem in East-Central Illinois and I’m really looking forward to his rendition,” Crews said. “Patty Poulter just has a beautiful voice and is dynamite too.”

The Wind Symphony has focused on this piece for about three weeks, meeting three times a week for an hour and 15 minutes each rehearsal.

However, the show is not only a celebration of Gershwin’s music, but also a fund raising event for the Earl Boyd Friends of the Band Scholarship Campaign.

The scholarship, named after Earl Boyd, who was a former music professor and leader of Eastern’s bands in the ‘60s and ‘70s, is aimed directly at supporting current and future band students.

Members of the Wind Symphony also weighed in to express their excitement for the upcoming show.

Helen Plevka, a senior English Education major, plays the clarinet and says her introduction to Gershwin’s music occurred when she played “Rhapsody and Blue” in high school and she loved it.

Plevka also said the familiarity of Gershwin is enough to make people want to come see the Gala.

“Even my parents just recognize the name Gershwin and know it’s going to be good music so that’s why they want to come,” Plevka said.

Rose Cloud, a junior music education major, plays the saxophone and said people have probably already heard Gershwin’s music in commercials or movies without even knowing it.

Cloud referenced her childhood memories of watching the animated movie “Fantasia” and loving Gershwin’s featured songs, and said this Gala is also important for appreciating the arts.

“I feel like this is a really good opportunity to connect different areas of our lives,” Cloud said. “The show helps to bring awareness to the role that music and all of the arts play in our lives even if we’re not aware of it.”

Aside from pure entertainment, Crews agreed this show will be an everlasting experience even for those who are not music majors.

“The Wind Symphony is the premiere ensemble on campus,” Crews said. “If people come to the concert and soak up the experience it will be a life changing and life long experience,” Crews said.

Darronte Matthews can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].