‘Mousetrap’ will catch audience attention, curiosity

Darronte Matthews, Verge Reporter

Brace yourselves as Eastern goes British and brings mystery, mischief and murder to the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

The event is none other than Agatha Christie’s 1952 murder mystery play “The Mousetrap,” which is being presented for a four-day, four-show run Thursday through Sunday in the Doudna Theatre.

The world’s longest running play, entering its sixth decade, is directed by visiting teacher and actress, from New York, Marnie Andrews, who says although she did not come in with any expectations, she was very delighted with the outcome of the production.

“I didn’t know what I was coming into, I knew it was a small department,” Andrews said. “But I was very pleased when I got the cast, as good of a cast as it was.”

The play centers around the ever popular whodunit concept as it follows a group of strangers stranded in a boarding house during a blizzard. After a murder is committed, the strangers find themselves trying to figure out which one of them is the murderer.

Despite the fact that the play began in the 1950’s, Andrews believes the secret to its continuous success and universal approach lies in the mystery mixed with humor and that is what draws the audience to the show.

“A lot of people love murder mysteries, but it’s also the humor,” Andrews said. “Hopefully when they [the audience] come, they will see a little bit of themselves in one of these characters and they would want to follow the path of that character.”

Not only does the director see that it is the play’s plot twists and surprising ending that captivates a crowd, but also those who worked behind the scenes were able to feel the magnetism of the show’s mystery.   

Assistant stage manager Francis Monier, a freshman theatre arts and business manager major, said people should definitely come out and see the play if they enjoy a good thrill.

“The audience will enjoy this show because it’s thrilling,” Monier said. “It’s a murder mystery with multiple suspects and I think it’s always fun to watch a mysterious show and try to figure out who the murderer is before the ending is revealed.”

Monier also went on to say that theater is a form of entertainment needed for everyone as it tells a story with each story meant to connect with the audience.

This concept of audience connection is a reoccurring opinion that also dwells within the minds of the actors.

Christopher Sanderson, a freshman theatre arts major, said watching this play will show the audience that anything is possible. 

“People should come to see the play to see that anyone is capable of acting,” Sanderson said.  “You also get to see what the Theatre Department can produce with the help of a guest director who has an excellent vision for this play.”

Sanderson, who got into acting as a freshman in high school about four years ago, said his first role in the musical “Hairspray” was the starting point for him in acting.

From then on, pursuing theatre was the path that led him to portraying one of the oddest characters in the Mousetrap. 

Sanderson ultimately agreed with the other members of the Mousetrap team saying that all those who come to the show will experience the exhilaration and shock that will be left on the stage at the end. 

“By seeing “Mousetrap,” you get to see the excitement and terror of the game of whodunit and learn about these strange and interesting eight characters on stage,” Sanderson said.

Darronte Matthews can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].