Column: Family Weekend needs relevant performer

Jarad Jarmon, Assistant News Editor

Changing up the types of shows Eastern sees on Family Weekend is a welcomed difference from the past. 

Altering the tradition of getting a rock band from the 80’s or 90’s to getting a stand-up comedian adds nice variety to the previous years. 

Unfortunately, this does not make up for the lack of relevance omedian Sinbad still maintains. Name value is important, and Sinbad holds very little at this point. 

Whether new or old, the University Board could have and should have found a stronger name for Family Weekend. 

It would have been exciting to see to a comedian who was rising instead of one who peaked in the 90’s. 

I do understand parents are looking for people who they saw when they were younger, but comedy transcends generations. Unless the comedian is cracking jokes about what the Kardashians are up to, I would not see issues with getting parents to not only go, but to also enjoy the show. 

Even if it is was necessary to book an act from the 80’s or 90’s, there are other comics that would have a more significant impact on the campus such as Bill Cosby. Illinois State has recently grabbed Cosby for their Family Weekend. 

Comic artists like Cosby are certainly possible for Eastern. Cosby had fairly recently been to Eastern’s campus.  

These kinds of people should be sought out after, if not only for just their name value. 

It is important to provide an explosive show for students and parents, but their choice also is important to enrollment, an issue Eastern, along with every other state school, is facing. 

Knowing large acts are coming to our school just might be the straw that broke the camels back for that one student that is still on the fence when choosing schools. I have a feeling Sinbad’s name does not reach that goal. 

I doubt students, when hearing his name, said they could not wait for him to come. 

I assume when news of his arrival hit students, they squinted looking deep into their memory to put a face with a name, inevitably failing. They would then check IMDB to find out he was the obsessive and evil mailman that tried to steal a Power Ranger-like toy from the great Arnold Schwarzenegger in the movie, “Jingle All the Way.” 

These are not the names Eastern needs. That is where the problem lies. 

I am sure Sinbad is a good performer. I am sure those who leave the arena will not be disappointed. But Eastern needs and wants more than that to get hooked. There needs to be a person who will fill seats, and I have a bad feeling Sinbad is not that person. 

Jarad Jarmon is a senior journalism major. He can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]