Wampler keeps positive attitude

Despite suffering a difficult injury, Jenna Wampler is ready to contribute to the Eastern women’s soccer team this fall.

The sophomore forward suffered a knee injury last fall, ending her freshman season. As it is with any season-ending injury, an athlete’s recovery can be a hard and tedious process. Wampler, however, is not sitting idly as the new season approaches.

“My recovery has been a long process, but by putting in the work needed over the summer I feel that I have adequate time to prepare myself to help the team,” Wampler said. “I had two surgeries within two months. One was to repair my knee and the other was to repair a detached tendon in my toe. As of right now, I am fully recovered and progressing for next season.”

For the Panthers, positive progress is excellent news, since Wampler came to Eastern as a highly touted freshman expected to contribute to head coach Summer Perala’s offense. Perala said she is optimistic about Wampler’s recovery.

“She had a minor set-back in her recovery this spring, but was making positive strides as the semester closed,” Perala said. “Jenna is very eager to get back on the field, and her ability to get her touch on the ball and fitness base back up over this summer will determine her overall playing time.”

For Wampler, the training process includes physical workouts and conditioning as well as actual game time in a summer league.

“I am finished with rehab, and am doing my preseason workout. It includes lifting weights, series of sprints, long distance running and conditioning.ball work, and technical skills sessions.

“I have not attended any camps but am playing on an adult league team this summer to get some game opportunities and pace of play,” Wampler said.

Despite not having attended any of Eastern’s camps yet, Perala maintains that Wampler will be apart of the team’s preseason training once she is given a clean bill of health.

“Jenna will be involved in every aspect of preseason training as long as she’s been fully released by the doctor. That includes fitness tests, training and conditioning, and exhibition games,” Perala said. “It’ll be important for her to get in the mix in scrimmages and games to ‘shake off the rust’ to get her ball control and speed of play back up.”

In the meantime, Wampler has been keeping herself in the loop with her teammates. Typically this occurs in small group workouts and weekly team discussions meant to improve team spirit.

“It helps to get everyone motivated and on the same page,” Wampler said. “It is also a great technique to welcome the new incoming freshman! I look forward to meeting up with the girls soon!”

Wampler’s enthusiastic anticipation is likely shared among her teammates as the team’s report date in August approaches, and Perala’s feelings are no different.

“The team reports August 4th and we’ll start training on the 5th. And yes, Jenna will be there!

“I’m excited to have her back because she can be a very crafty addition for our attack,” Perala said.

How much Wampler will add to the Panthers’ offense remains to be seen, but expectations for her impact are already high.

Greg can be reached at 581-7942 or

Wampler keeps positive attitude

Wampler keeps positive attitude

Sophomore forward Ashley Streid looks to move the ball past Eastern Kentucky freshman midfielder Kristan Paynter during a game on Saturday, Oct. 10 at Lakeside Field. (File Photo