Road trip ends nine-game win streak

Eastern’s softball team traveled to Cape Girardau, Mo., and lost its second Ohio Valley Conference game of the season, 8-4 to Southeast Missouri.

The loss ends the Panthers nine-game winning streak and brings their overall record to 32-8 and 19-2 in the OVC, while SEMO improves to 20-24 and 14-10 in conference play.

The Redhawks were able to avoid the season sweep after losing a doubleheader last week, 2-0 and 4-0.

Senior pitcher Amber May started the game, but struggled going four innings and giving up four runs; however, she was not dealt with her first OVC loss of the season.

Freshman pitcher Stephanie Maday came into the game in the fifth and pitched two innings allowing three earned runs and dropping her record to 12-4 on the year.

Eastern’s offense was provided by freshman infielder Reynae Hutchinson, who went 2-3 with her sixth home run of the season.

Junior outfielder Maria Sorrentino also went 2-3, while freshman outfielder Morgan Biel went 2-4 with two RBI’s.

Defensively, SEMO committed three errors, but Alora Marble was able to pitch a complete game allowing one earned run and striking out four batters.

The Redhawks offense was provided in spurts with one run coming in the first and second inning, two runs scoring in the fourth and four runs in the fifth. SEMO spread the offensive production throughout the line up with six players recording RBI’s.

The Panthers got off to a quick start scoring three runs in the first inning; however, they were unable to hold on to that lead. It was the first time they lost when scoring in the first inning this season.

Eastern was unable to bring base runners home, leaving nine on base, while SEMO left just three women on base.

The Panthers return to action Friday for a doubleheader against OVC rival Austin Peay in Clarksville, Tenn., with game time scheduled for 1 p.m.

Rob Mortell can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected]

Road trip ends nine-game win streak

Road trip ends nine-game win streak

Freshman outfielder Morgan Biel fields the ball Sunday during the second game of a doubleheader against UT Martin at Williams Field. The Panthers won the game 5-4. (Kimberly Foster/The Daily Eastern News)