Team riding new nine-game streak

Since February 27, Eastern’s softball team has lost three games, while creating two winning-streaks during that time span.

The first winning-streak was 17 games, which set the record for consecutive Division-I games. The Panthers are currently on a nine game winning streak.

Head coach Kim Schuette said the team does not pay attention to winning-streaks, they just focus on wining each game and improving each day.

Eastern has a 32-7 overall record this season and a 19-1 record in the Ohio Valley Conference.

One reason the Panthers have been successful in the OVC this year is senior pitcher Amber May. She has not lost a conference game this season. May is 13-0 in conference.

“We are not going to give up until the last out,” May said.

May and freshman pitcher Stephanie Maday have led Eastern to the best ERA in the nation.

Schuette said the pitchers compliment each other well because Maday is a ground ball pitcher and May is a strikeout and fly ball pitcher. She also said both pitcher learn from each other everyday.

“Hey, it’s nice to have (May and Maday),” Schuette said.

Panthers tie record for conference wins

With a sweep of Tennessee-Martin, the Panthers improve their conference record to 19-1.

The 19 wins ties Eastern’s record for conference wins. In 1997, the first year Eastern was a Division-I program, the Panthers recorded an OVC record of 19-11 and finished third in the conference.

In Eastern’s 14 years in the OVC, they have never won the regular season title. This year, they have a three-game lead in the conference standings.

The Panthers are 9-0 in conference at Williams Field and with ten games left in the conference season, six of which will be played at home, they could grab their first OVC regular season title.

Around the OVC

Morehead State was able to pick up its 17th win of the season with an 11-3 victory over Tennessee State.

The win improved the Eagles record to 9-12 in the OVC, while Tennessee State fell to 10-39 overall and 4-20 in conference.

Morehead State senior infielder Rebecca Butler extended her hitting streak to 18 games with a three-run home run in the first inning. Butler and two other seniors have the Eagles home crowd a good showing on senior day.

Southern Illinois-Edwardsville was able to beat Eastern Kentucky 6-1. SIU-E player Rachel Coonrod was able to lead SIU-E to a win with a two-run home run.

The win propelled the Cougars to 22-21 overall and 14-7 in the OVC. Eastern Kentucky fell to 21-21 overall and 8-15 in conference.

In another OVC match-up, Murray State exploded for nine runs in a 9-7 win against Southeast Missouri.

Murray State’s Lauren Buch hit her 11th home run of the season, as the Racers improved to 19-24 overall and 13-10 in conference. SEMO dropped to 14-23 overall and 7-13 in conference.

Rob Mortell can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected]

Team riding new nine-game streak

Team riding new nine-game streak

Carly Willert, freshman infielder, gets the out at second and throws the ball to first to try and get the out there as well during the game against UT Martin Saturday afternoon at Williams Field. The Panthers travel to Cape Girardeau, Mo today to take on