Brown, May keep Panthers in first

Sophomore Melise Brown went .500 this past weekend against Tennessee Tech. She scored three runs, a double, a home run, two RBIs, a walk, and a stolen base. So far this season, Brown is batting a .462 on the season and has 10 stolen bases. Brown has also started every game for the Panthers this season.

Senior Amy May gave up nine base on balls this weekend, but she added 14 more strikeouts to her 112 season total and has an ERA of 1.28. She also added a complete game to her total, making it 10 on the season.

Around the OVC

Kasey Schlafke hit her second home run in two days Sunday as Southern Illinois University Edwardsville grabbed a 9-4 victory over Jacksonville State.

The Cougars, now 15-20 overall and 7-6 in the Ohio Valley Conference, won the third game of the series by out-hitting the Gamecocks 10-6. Jacksonville State, the defending OVC Tournament champions, fell to 25-10 overall and 11-3 in the OVC.

The Gamecocks would answer with a pair of solo home runs in the third inning off of SIU-E’s winning pitcher Erika Taylor. Amanda Crow hit her 11th of the season while Sallie Beth Burch hit her fourth of the season.

In the fifth inning, Samantha Stanicek opened with a single and stole second off Jacksonville State starter, Tiffany Harbin. Chelsea Yankolovich followed with an RBI single and moved to second on the throw. Harbin would strike out seven, but would allow five earned runs in four innings.

Morehead State scored 15 runs in their final three at-bats and batted around in the fourth and fifth innings as they defeated the visiting Racers 15-7, ending the game on the run-rule in the bottom of the sixth inning.

The Eagles entered the fourth inning down 6-0 as Murray State scored on the Eagles for two in the first and four in the second off Morehead State starter Kelcey McMurray. Relievers Ashley Boyd and Jami Whitcomb held the Racer bats at bay for the rest of the game.

Freshman Corie Roberts got the nine-run fourth inning started with a bases-clearing double into the left field corner. Amber Riddle, who had walked, and Kayla Brill, who was hit by a pitch from Racer starter Shelby Kosmecki, scored. Elizabeth Wagner tied it up with a two-run double to left field. Riddle then hit a line drive to center that Racer fielder Jenna Bradley mishandled, allowing Brill to score the ninth run.

Lenny Arquilla can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected]

Brown, May keep Panthers in first

Brown, May keep Panthers in first

Melise Brown, a sophomore outfielder, grins while rounding second base after hitting one of her two home runs during game one of a double header March 26 at Williams Field. (Kimberly Foster