Winning streak grows to 16

The Panthers kept their momentum and stayed perfect in the Ohio Valley Conference making it 16 straight wins. After sweeping Tennessee State, the team took down SIU-Edwardsville in both games of a double header Wednesday.

The Panthers now lead the OVC standings and own the best current win streak of all the conference teams.

In game one, freshman pitcher Stephanie Maday went seven innings and struck out seven SIU-Edwardsville batters while also giving up five runs off nine hits. She now stands at 9-1 on the season.

Senior infielder Kiley Holtz went 2-4 with three RBI’s and her 17th career home run.

In addition, Holtz’s home run also means that the team has now hit at least one home run in the last eight games. Freshman Morgan Biel went 1-for-2 with two walks and an RBI.

Despite a strong showing and a 2-4 with an RBI game one for SIU-E’s Rachel Coonrod, the pitching and offense by the Panthers outdid SIU-E and earned them the 7-5 victory early Wednesday.

The 2011 Panther home run total now stands at 25 on the year as the Panthers are only five away from tying the school-record mark of 30 home runs set last season.

In the second game nightcap, after two scoreless innings the Panther’s took a quick three-run lead thanks to a fielder’s choice RBI by freshman infielder Carly Willert, a one-run ground-out from Holtz and an RBI shot from Biel.

Senior pitcher Amber May, who is now 9-3 on the season, would eventually get into a grove in the circle, as she earned six of her eight total strikeout’s over the last four innings, which all but eliminated any chance of another potential late-game Cougar comeback this time around.

The Panthers have now won three consecutive games over the Cougar squad to help the Panthers pull to 7-9 in the all-time series history between the two rivals.

This is the first official season of OVC play for SIUE softball, as the team earned fast track status to becoming NCAA Division I eligible. The rest of the Cougar sport programs will join the OVC starting next fall season.

Eastern travels to Tennessee Tech for a three-game weekend series that starts with a doubleheader and single-game on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, respectively.

Head coach Kim Shuette could not be reached for comment by deadline.

Lenny Arquilla can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected]

Winning streak grows to 16

Winning streak grows to 16

Kiley Holtz, a senior infielder and catcher, connects with the ball Sunday against Tennessee State at Williams Field. The softball team extended their win streak to 16 with their win against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Wednesday. (Danny Dam