Team looks to keep rolling

The Panthers will look to win three games in a row and six of their last nine, when they take on Saint Louis at Coaches’ Stadium, with first pitch scheduled for 3 p.m. today.

The Panthers finished their first Ohio Valley Conference series this weekend by sweeping a doubleheader against Eastern Kentucky to take two out of three games from the Colonels.

Head coach Jim Schmitz said he was pleased with winning two out of three. He said having that kind of success on weekends has been his goal since he started at Eastern in 1995.

This match-up with Saint Louis will mark the final game of a six-game home stand for the Panthers, over which senior right-handed pitcher Matt Miller picked up two saves over three appearances while striking out seven and surrendering only one hit in 5-2/3 innings of work.

For his performance throughout the past week, Miller was named the co-OVC pitcher of the week, one week after teammate Mike Hoekstra earned the honor with a complete game win in Memphis.

Schmitz said he was impressed with the way Miller performed over the past week, especially in spots where he had trouble last season.

“Matt struggled getting lefties out last year,” Schmitz said. “He finished the game getting two lefties out. The bullpen struggled last year and Matt has really come back committed and really has worked hard.”

The Panthers come off a weekend series with EKU, which saw a pair of freshman pitchers, pick up wins in Sunday’s doubleheader. Right-hander Luke Bushur and left-hander Christian Slazinik both set career highs in strikeouts before being relieved.

Schmitz said he was pleased with how both starters performed over the weekend.

“Having the two freshman pitchers in the first OVC weekend go in there and throw strikes,” Schmitz said. “I think we walked just three people the whole weekend or something just unbelievable. It’s just the first (conference) weekend but definitely gets us off on the right start.”

Schmitz said junior left-hander Adam Clark will start today’s game on the mound for the Panthers.

Schmitz said junior second baseman Brad Schwiegert will continue to start over sophomore Danny Rowe, who Schmitz said has been inconsistent and struggling on defense.

“Brad has given us some energy,” Schmitz said. “From a bunt to a couple hits to really strategically laying down a bunt to get an inning started. Brad got a chance and did well.”

Following the game the Panthers will play at Indiana State Wednesday and at OVC foe Austin Peay this weekend.

Brad Kupiec can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected]

Team looks to keep rolling

Team looks to keep rolling

Senior shortstop Cam Strang bunts for a base hit during the first game of a doubleheader against Eastern Kentucky on Sunday at Coaches Stadium. (Jordan Boner