Maday, May help team in wins

Freshman pitcher Stephanie Maday threw a no-hitter this weekend, improving her record to 8-1.

With an ERA of 0.14 and 50 strikeouts, she was given the honor of athlete of the week after her performance in Saturday’s five-inning game.

Senior Amber May helped her own case by not only pitching well, but also adding her own offense.

May, who has had numerous Pitcher of the Week awards, hit her first career home run this past weekend in the sweep of Tennessee State.

May is now 8-3 with a 1.39 ERA. May now has 90 strikeouts and 9 complete games.

Around the OVC

An eight-run fifth inning led a comeback by Jacksonville State on Sunday, when the Gamecocks handed Southeast Missouri a 13-8 defeat and won the Ohio Valley Conference series at University Field.

Senior Sallie Beth Burch and junior Tess Echols each drove in five runs to lead the Gamecocks to their second straight come-from-behind win over the Redhawks.

Echols also added a three-run homer while sophomore Hilary Phillips earned her second win in relief in as many games for the Gamecocks.

Phillips (5-0) held the Redhawks at bay to allow the comeback, holding an offense that plated seven runs in the first four innings to an unearned run on three hits over the final 3.2 innings.

The Redhawks scored 20 runs over the three-game series but managed just one unearned run against her in her eight innings of work.

The team hit over .350 on every JSU pitcher faced, except Phillips, who limited SEMO’s hitters to a .167 average.

Despite the weather, Tennessee Tech was able to get in a pair of games as it split with the Murray State Racers.

Tennessee Tech took the first game 18-11, while losing the second game in five innings, 8-0.

Lacie Coquerille and Whitney Cummings each hit home runs for the Golden Eagles, as they paced the Tennessee Tech offense with four RBIs each.

Melody Christian recorded two hits and four walks in six plate appearances against Murray State pitchers, while scoring three runs and stealing two bases.

Holly Thomas earned the win, to improve to 10-4 on the season, while Murray State’s Chelsea Sullivan took the loss as she fell to 3-10.

Shelby Kosmecki pitched a five-inning shutout for the Racers, as she gave up just one hit and a walk, to earn her second win of the season.

Claudia Harke took the loss for Tech as she fell to 0-3 on the season.

Lenny Arquilla can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected]

Maday, May help team in wins

Maday, May help team in wins

Reynae Hutchinson, a freshman pitcher and outfielder, pitches to Tennessee State during their final game Sunday at Williams Field. (Danny Damiani