Sliding into victory: 11-game winning streak

Eastern’s women’s softball team has been performing a peak efficiency early this season, as they have reeled off a school record 11 straight Division I wins.

The Panthers credit their great team chemistry for their early success. Head coach Kim Schuette has the team off on of its best starts in her six years at Eastern.

Sophomore catcher Abby Wood said every player on the team has stepped their play up this season.

“We haven’t had to rely on one person to make the game-winning hit,” Wood said. “If one person messes up there are 21 other people to pick them up. It’s a great feeling.”

The Panthers’ winning streak started over spring break in Kissimmee, Fla., beating Columbia, Siena and Rider among five other at the Rebel Spring Games. Eastern pitched well in Florida, giving up six runs in eight games.

Senior pitcher Amber May has preformed well this season, posting a 6-3 record with a 1.56 ERA. May also earned her fourth career Ohio Valley Conference Pitcher of the Week.

Freshman pitcher Stephanie Maday has preformed even better, posting a 7-1 record with a 0.15 ERA.

May said every player on the team has a different role, and every player has performed well during this winning streak.

“Playing became a lot more fun when everyone is having fun and enjoying being around each other all the time,” May said.

The team is led in hitting by sophomore outfielder Melise Brown, who is hitting .409 with two home runs and nine RBIs. Freshman outfielder Morgan Biel is performing well, hitting .364 with two home runs and eight RBIs.

Biel said despite her success at the plate, she is still focusing on the little things.

“(I try) to be able to move the runners on base and make all catches in the outfield,” Biel said.

Team members said they will be able to carry their success as long they continue to get better in practice and improve each day.

“I think our expectations are to keep winning games and stay together as a team,” May said.

The team’s expectations are high for the rest of the season, with the ultimate goal of hosting this year’s Ohio Valley Conference tournament at Eastern.

“If we stay how we are playing now, (our goal) would be to keep winning and host the OVC here at Eastern,” Wood said.

Rob Mortell can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Sliding into victory: 11-game winning streak

The Eastern softball team brought its winning streak to 11 games over the weekend with a three-game sweep of Murray State. The Panthers are 16-and-5 going into Thursday’s home opener against the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. (Kimberly Foster