May snags yet another pitcher of the week award

Senior Amber May won her fifth career Ohio Valley Conference Pitcher of the Week Award as she came one strikeout away from her career 14 strikeouts Saturday.

May went 4-0 in four starts and earned her first save of the season last week. She also posted a pair of shutouts. She struck out 34 batters and walked only five over 28.2 innings of work. May held the opposition to a .168 batting average. May’s record now stands at 6-3.

Freshman Carly Willert had an impressive offensive showing this weekend as she recorded a team-high six-RBI performance Saturday. Not only did she hit her first career home run Saturday, but followed it up by hitting a home run in all three games this weekend. So far this season, May has a batting average standing at .235, while recording 13 RBIs.

Around the OVC

Eastern Kentucky swept a conference series from Austin Peay last week, improving their record to 16-9 overall and 3-3 in the OVC. In the series finale on Sunday, Eastern Kentucky head coach Jane Worthington earned the 500th victory in program history. Worthington, in her 19th season, is the only head coach in program history. Eastern Kentucky now has an all-time record of 500-479.Diane Gallagher led the way with a .500 average, three runs, three RBIs and three stolen bases. She tied the school career record for steals on Saturday. Ashley Dollins hit .455 with two runs, three doubles, a home run and four RBI in the series.

Senior pitcher Noelani Esperas picked up two wins against the Lady Govs., holding opponents to a .186 batting average.

Jacksonville State took both ends of a doubleheader with Samford before sweeping a three-game series with Morehead State to improve their record to 19-6 overall and 6-0 in the OVC.

The Gamecocks’ 6-0 OVC start is their second-best start since joining the conference. The 22 runs scored in Saturday’s doubleheader against the Eagles were the most by the Gamecocks in a doubleheader since scoring 22 against Morehead State in 2007.

Junior Abbey Stepp hit .786 over the five games with one double and three home runs. She recorded 12 RBI and scored five runs. She posted a .788 on-base percentage and a 1.500 slugging percentage. Freshman pitcher Tiffany Harbin picked up three wins and a save last week. She struck out 24 batters in 18.0 innings of work.

Lenny Arquilla can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected]

May snags yet another pitcher of the week award

Hailee Hanna, junior, catches a pitch during the game against Austin Peay April 24 at Williams Field. The Panthers have their first home game Thursday against Illinois at 3 p.m. (File Photo /The Daily Eastern News)