Maday earns spot in 2011 Mardi Gras Classic team

Freshmen pitcher Stephanie Maday recorded her first career win against Alabama State this weekend.

In two games this weekend, she pitched 8.1 innings finishing with four strikeouts, while allowing six hits and 3 walks and recording an ERA of 0.0. Her performance earned her a spot of the 2011 Mardi Gras Classic All-Tournament team. She was the only Panther to receive the honor.

Despite the teams 4-4 start, Maday said the team is going to improve game by game with the ultimate goal of becoming Ohio Valley Conference champions.

Another freshmen, Morgan Biel, performed well earning special mention honors to the All-Tournament team, she was also in consideration for OVC Player of the Week.

During the Mardi Gras Classic, she hit her first career home run, improving her batting average to .278. She is currently tied for the lead in RBI, total bases, and fielding percentage. She leads the team with two home runs this season.

Around the OVC

Kaleigh Gates, outfielder for Tennessee Tech, won OVC Player of the Week by going .500 over five games with three runs scored, one double, and one home run. She recorded at least one run in all five games and she drove in six runs, including a 3-run shot, in the 14-5 victory against East Tennessee State.

Tennessee Tech beat East Tennessee State 14-5 in a non-conference game. Senior Kaleigh Gates, junior Whitney Cummings, and sophomore Brittney Spalding of Tennessee Tech all hit their first home runs of the season in the six-inning victory. Gates and Cummings accounted for 10 of the team’s 14 RBI. Junior Holly Thomas won her third straight contest as she pitched 4.2 innings while striking out two.

Eastern Kentucky beat Alabama State 5-3 on the final day of the Magic City Classic. Junior Larkyn Wood hit two home runs and drove in three. Shyenne Hussey’s RBI single and Raquel Howes’ RBI double in the fifth extended the lead to 5-2 before finally winning 5-3.

Lenny Arquilla can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected]

Maday earns spot in 2011 Mardi Gras Classic team

Junior Amber May pitches against Tennessee Tech March 27, 2010 at Williams Field. The Panthers take on Butler Saturday in Nashville, Tenn. for the Lady Bison Classic. (File Photo\The Daily Eastern News)