Track team ranked 11th in the region

The first USTFCCCA rankings of the season were released Tuesday with Eastern listed at No. 11 in the Midwest region.

The top three teams in the Midwest region are Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska. The Panthers will face No. 1 Illinois, as well as No. 6 Southern Illinois at this weekend’s Illinois Intercollegiate meet.

Ranked individually for the Panthers were red-shirt junior Zye Boey, who is eighth in the 200-meter dash, and red-shirt freshman Mick Viken, who ranks 17th in the pole vault.

Women’s field wins three events

At last Saturday’s EIU Mega Meet, the Eastern women’s field team saw three first-place finishes for the day.

Sophomore Abigail Schmitz took first place in the women’s pole vault with a mark of 12-00.75, sophomore Jamiee Roy took first place in the long jump with a mark of 17-11.50 and senior LaDonna Martin won the triple jump competition with a mark of 33-10.

The 12-00.75 mark was a personal best for pole-vaulter Schmitz. Schmitz landed the attempt on her third and final try to seal the victory for her. Schmitz said that she was happy to win the event, which was her goal for the day.

Despite the EIU Mega Meet being the second home meet of the year for the Panthers track and field team, Schmitz said she does not feel much of a difference between home and road meets. Schmitz said she feels more comfortable in Lantz Fieldhouse, but also loves the adrenaline rush of competing in another team’s arena. Schmitz said her favorite part about competing in Lantz Fieldhouse was being surrounded by the support of the fans and other team members.

Roth wins in debut meet

Red-shirt freshman William Roth won the men’s 3000-meter run with a time of 8:47.33. The EIU Mega Meet was the first meet of the season for Roth, who did not compete in the EIU Early Bird or in the Badger Track Classic.

Around the OVC

Tennessee State competed at the Blue Raider Invitational hosted by Middle Tennessee State last Saturday. Tennessee State picked up one first place finish, as well as multiple third place finishes. Junior Michael Rideout captured the only Tennessee State victory with his first place finish in the 400-meter dash with a time of 49.49.

Tennessee State will host the TSU Invitational this weekend. Ohio Valley Conference rivals Austin Peay and Jacksonville State will also be in attendance.

Eastern Kentucky will continue its indoor track season at the Rod McCravy Memorial Meet, held in Lexington, Kent. On Jan. 28-29.

After competing in the EIU Mega Meet, Murray State will take a week off before returning to action at the McDonald’s Invitational, held at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, Ill.

Southeast Missouri State ended the Illini Classic with two individual titles. Rachel Kahle and Shemeika Brewer took home titles in the long jump and triple jump events. Brewer has been named Ohio Valley Conference Female Field Athlete of the Week once already this season.

Southern Illinois-Edwardsville will also look to compete along side Eastern at the Illinois Intercollegiate this weekend.

Dominic Renzetti can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected]

Track team ranked 11th in the region

Track team ranked 11th in the region

Junior sprinter Bridget Sanchez strides through the back stretch of the women’s 600-meter run during the Mega Meet held on Saturday in the fieldhouse in Lantz Arena. Sanchez took fourth in the event. (Jordan Boner/The Daily Eastern News)