Another one goal loss

Eastern’s men’s soccer team lost its seventh game this season by one goal.

The Panthers lost to Southern Illinois-Edwardsville 2-1 at Lakeside Field on Saturday. The loss resulted in a 4-8 overall and 1-3 conference record.

Of Eastern’s eight losses this year, seven of them have been by just one goal; however, this was the first time the Panthers lost when they scored a goal.

Six of the seven one-goal losses have been 0-1 games. The defense gave up 10 corner kicks, two of which resulted in goals. The Panthers also committed a season-high 22 fouls.

Eastern head coach Adam Howarth said the Panthers were the better team for the first part of the game but some mistakes later cost them.

“It was frustrating because for the first 20 minutes we were the better team,” Howarth said. “But the game is 90 minutes that’s the thing.”

The Panthers offense played well out-shooting SIU-E 20-18, but defensive mistakes resulted in the loss.

Senior goalkeeper Sean Molony made 10, but the two goals raised his goal against average from .82 to .92.

Howarth said the team struggled after the allowed the first goal.

“We got frustrated, we were making dumb fouls in bad spots, we were putting ourselves in bad positions,” Howarth said.

Child continues to play well

Junior Ryan Child dished out his team-leading third assist against SIU-E. He set up sophomore Kyle Bullock for his second goal of the season.

Bullock and Child are the only Panthers who have scored multiple goals in 12 games this season. They have scored four of the six total goals.

Child has played well offensively all season tallying a team-leading seven points through the 12 games, compared to the 10 points that the rest of the team has combined.

Child has contributed to 40 percent of the team’s offense.

Last season Child played in 15 games, but only recorded two assists.

With five games left this season, Child has a good chance reach double-digit points. Only six Panthers have reached double-digit points since 2007.

Around the MVC

There are just three weeks remaining until the MVC tournament. The top six schools will advance to the tournament.

The seeding for the tournament will be decided by the amount that each school accumulates. Schools will get three points for a win, one point for a tie and zero points for a loss.

Drake and Missouri State are on top of the standings with seven points each. Creighton and SIU-E are in third with six points. Eastern, Bradley and Evansville are in fifth with three points.

Central Arkansas is alone in last place with zero points. With three weeks remaining there is still plenty of time for the standings to be rearranged.

Rob Mortell can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected]

Another one goal loss

Another one goal loss

Panthers junior midfielder Jonathan Hinds watches the ball as he battles for postition with Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville junior back Nash Maduekwe during a game on Saturday at Lakeside field. (Jordan Boner