Team looks to end losing streak

The Eastern men’s soccer team will attempt to end its four-game losing streak, as it heads to Conway, Ark. to take on Central Arkansas in a Missouri Valley Conference game.

Eastern is currently in last place in the MVC with a 0-2 record in conference play; however, Central Arkansas has not fared much better. They are 0-1 in conference.

Both teams have overall records of 3-7. The Bears have played better offensively scoring nine goals to the Panthers four; however, the Panthers have preformed better defensively allowing nine goals, while the Bears have allowed 14.

The game is a must win for both teams if they want to have a chance at making the conference tournament.

Eastern has never lost to Central Arkansas, posting a 2-0 record since the Bears became a Division I team in 2006.

This is Central Arkansas’ first official year in the MVC, while it is Eastern’s final season. Both teams will be looking to prove to the rest of the conference that they can perform well.

Eastern head coach Adam Howarth said the Panthers should be well prepared for this game.

“I am very positive that the team will be ready,” Howarth said. “We don’t have much of a turnaround (from their last game), which is probably a good thing so we will go on the road and take a good shot at Central Arkansas.”

The Panthers played aggressively against Missouri State out-shooting them 15-11.

The aggressive play still ended in zero goals.

Eastern has not scored a goal in four games; however, Central Arkansas has a defense allowing 1.3 goals per game.

Junior defenseman Graham Lynch said the team is trying different things offensively to try and find a spark.

“We are trying different formations,” Lynch said.

Senior forward Alex Harrison is the Panthers active leader in every offensive category. He has not recorded a point in ten consecutive games this season.

Harrison was close to scoring against MSU, but MSU goalkeeper Alex Riggs made two saves against him. Another shot of Harrison’s hit the right post.

Harrison said early this season that his main he wanted to score more goals this season. He had two goals last year and he has at least seven games to eclipse that mark if he is to surpass his preseason goal.

Eastern needs to win more games if the are going to make the conference tournament. The top six teams advance to the tournament, the Panthers are currently are in eighth.

Three teams, including UCA, have losses in the MVC. With five more conference games on the schedule the Panthers still have a chance to make the top six.

The game with Central Arkansas is scheduled for 4 p.m.

Rob Mortell can be reached at 581-7944 or at a href=”mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected].

Team looks to end losing streak

Team looks to end losing streak

Freshman defender Ryan Tinsley defends the ball against an IUPUI player Sept. 22 at Lakeside Field. The Panthers play at Central Arkansas Wednesday afternoon. (Audrey Sawyer