Losing streak extends to four

The Panther men’s soccer team’s losing streak extended to four games with a 1-0 loss against Missouri State on Saturday, bringing their record to 3-7 on the year and 0-2 in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Every loss that Eastern has had during their losing streak has been by the score of 0-1. Missouri State scored less than a minute into the game.

Midfielder Heath Melugin scored the lone goal. It came off an Eastern foul, resulting in a free kick, Edin Sabic set up Melugin, who headed the ball into the right corner of the goal.

Eastern head coach Adam Howarth said the one goal was the only major mistake the Panthers made all game.

“We fell asleep on a free kick and they scored on it and that was really the only major chance they had,” Howarth said.

Howarth said his team played well all game, aside from the quick goal. He said that the result was unfortunate for how well the Panthers played.

“Soccer is a very, very cruel game because we absolutely dominated the game for probably 89 and a half minutes and it only takes a few seconds to score a goal and that’s what (Missouri State) did,” Howarth said.

Eastern’s offense played aggressively; however, they were unable to put any of their chances away. The Panthers had the advantage in shots, 15-11.

At one point in the game, the Panthers had two scoring chances by senior forward Alex Harrison within ten seconds. His first shot was stopped by the right post; Harrison then controlled the rebound and shot it towards the left corner.

Goalkeeper Alex Riggs made a one-handed save, keeping the score at 0-1. The save was one of seven for Riggs. Riggs had another impressive sequence in the second half making two diving saves in a matter of seconds.

Howarth said the Panthers were able to get good scoring opportunities but they were unable to put the ball in the back of the net.

“We had lots of chances, we put the ball on goal, on frame, we definitely had four or five legitimate chances, their goalkeeper made three very good saves at the end and that was the difference,” Howarth said.

The Panthers mixed up their starting lineup in hopes of finding a spark offensively. Freshman Cameron Lauchner got the first start of his Eastern career.

Even with the lineup changes and more aggressive style of play, the Panthers posted another zero on the scoreboard.

Howarth said there are many positives that they can take from this game, but he also feels that the Panthers are getting unlucky as well.

“We played better in the second half, you need luck, you need a good bounce, you need something to happen that goes your way,” Howarth said.

The Panthers return to action Wednesday as they continue their MVC schedule. They go on the road to take on Central Arkansas at 4 p.m.

Rob Mortell can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected]

Losing streak extends to four

Losing streak extends to four

Sophomore midfielder Kendal Spurgin and IUPUI’s Ian Munro collide while going after the ball during the game Sept. 22 at Lakeside Field. (Audrey Sawyer