Defensive errors lead to another loss

Eastern Kentucky sophomore quarterback TJ Pryor scored three rushing touchdowns and one passing touchdown Saturday, leading the Colonels to a 35-7 win over Eastern.

Pryor’s three rushing touchdowns were the first three touchdowns of the game for either team, helping the Colonels to a 21-0 lead with two mintes, 16 seconds to go in the first half.

Pryor, who defensive coordinator Roc Bellantoni said had been one of the focuses for the Eastern defense during the week, finished the game with 163 total yards and four touchdowns.

On Pryor’s longest touchdown run of the game, 30 yards, Bellantoni said he shook off Eastern’s tacklers to find a hole to get to the end zone.

The touchdown was Pryor’s third of the game.

“You have to give credit to him, he’s a phenomenal player,” Bellantoni said.

Pryor showed off his athleticism as he jumped over three Eastern defenders and flipped into the end zone for one of his touchdowns.

Aside from Pryor being a good athlete, Bellantoni said the defense was missing tackles all night, allowing EKU to rush

Football, page 7

for 287 rushing yards.

“If you miss tackles, it is going to be a good play,” Bellantoni said.

Pryor accounted for 78 yards rushing alone.

The Eastern defense wasn’t getting any help from the offense either, as turnovers allowed EKU to have good starting field position. Six times Saturday EKU started in Eastern’s side of the field. Eastern only started in EKU territory once.

“It is obvious, it makes it tougher,” Bellantoni said. “When you’re backed up, it’s tough.”

When EKU started in Eastern’s territory, the defense forced the Colonels to punt one time, and forced a fumble two other times. Bellantoni said he was happy when the defense came up with stops.

However, the Eastern offense let the defense down. In five of the six instances that EKU started its offensive drive inside Eastern’s territory, the Eastern offense turned the ball over to allow that to happen.

The loss was the fourth consecutive loss Eastern has suffered against EKU. Right now, Bellantoni said losses are going to come no matter what team Eastern plays because the Panthers aren’t executing.

“It’s all about execution,” Bellantoni said. “They are out-executing us as a team no matter who we are playing.”

Both teams’ offensive attacks were lopsided. EKU out-rushed Eastern 287-29, while Eastern out-passed EKU 321-85.

However, the difference was on the scoreboard as EKU scored 35 points to Eastern’s seven. Red-shirt junior wide receiver Lorence Ricks caught the only touchdown of the game for the Panthers.

The touchdown was his first of the season.

Eastern stays on the road Saturday to play Tennessee Tech in Cookville, Tenn. at 7 p.m.

Alex McNamee can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Defensive errors lead to another loss

Defensive errors lead to another loss

Freshman quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo runs the ball against Southeast Missouri Oct. 2 at O’Brien Field. The Panthers lost to Eastern Kentucky 7-35 Saturday. (Audrey Sawyer