Panther’s offense starting to click

The Panthers’ offense is starting to play at the same level the defense has all season.

After Eastern got their first win against Western Illinois 1-0, they didn’t miss a step against DePaul winning 2-0.

Eastern head coach Adam Howarth said the team should be able to carry this momentum for a while.

“Hopefully we can keep it going,” Howarth said.

Eastern’s defense has been playing well all season long allowing just five goals in five games. The last two shutouts are the only ones for the Panthers this season.

The offense was unable to score until the game against Western. The team has now scored three goals in two games.

Junior defenseman Graham Lynch said the team is going to concentrate the momentum on their upcoming games and not look too far down the road.

“We’ve got two tough games coming up here this week before we open up against Creighton,” Lynch said. “If we can get two wins during the week then that will set us up very nicely and we will be able to carry a lot of confidence into Creighton.”

The Panthers play Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis and Western Michigan this week. They are looking to finish the non-conference season with a 5-3 record.

Molony wins MVC defensive player of the week Senior goalkeeper Sean Molony won the Missouri Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Week award for his play against Western Illinois and DePaul.

Molony recorded a shutout in both games and had a combined total of 17 saves in the two games. Fourteen of the saves came in the game against DePaul, setting a new career-high for Molony.

Howarth said he has been very impressed with how Molony has played to this point in the season.

“He played very well, I was really happy with him and obviously his confidence is very high, too, so I am real happy with the way he played,” Howarth said.

Molony’s play in the two games last week gave the team confidence that the will be able to rely on him this season.

The two straight shutouts give Molony eight for his career at Eastern.

Around the MVCNo. 16 Creighton recorded its first loss of the season with a 3-2 double overtime loss against No. 18 Southern Methodist University. The loss puts the Bluejays at 5-1 this season.

Creighton held a 2-0 advantage in the first half but SMU was able to tie the game in the second half and win in the second overtime period.

SMU also beat fellow Missouri Valley Conference school Bradley, 3-1, in the finals of Bradley’s own tournament.

No. 22 Drake lost to No.18 Indiana 2-0 dropping its record to 3-3 on the season.

Missouri State almost pulled off the upset against No. 12 Louisville. Missouri State had a 1-0 halftime lead but Louisville was able to come back for the 2-1 victory.

Rob Mortell can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Panther’s offense starting to click

Panthers offense starting to click

Eastern senior forward Alex Harrison fights for the ball against Western Illinois junior defender Kooten Johnson during a game on Wednesday, Sept. 15 at Lakeside Field. (Jordan Boner