Top Cat: The Ultimate Assistant

If volleyball isn’t your thing or you aren’t impressed by the intricacies of teamwork and passing, consider this: This past weekend, Panther junior setter Chrissie Albers was credited with a tournament-high 148 assists, which not only earned her All-Tournament honors, but also was more than all of the Panthers’ opponents this weekend combined.

Pretty amazing? Albers set up more teammates over four matches than – not only anyone else in the tournament – more than the opposition put together, all by herself.

Being named to the all-tournament team was an honor for Albers.

“I didn’t see it coming at all,” Albers said. “I thought everyone on the team played well. We did a nice job of executing in crunch time.”

This is just one example of the team-first attitude shared by this year’s team, as well as how close they’ve become working out together this summer.

“It feels really good (to be named all-tournament),” Albers said. “But I couldn’t have done it without great passing and our hitters putting balls away.”

The teamwork and trusting bond which these ladies share with one another helps tremendously on the court when they get along so well off it, according to head coach Kate Price.

Albers said most of the team stayed around over the summer, giving them the opportunity to work out together and hang out with each other outside of practice.

As far as team expectations for this year against last, Albers, a returning starter, feels that based on this first weekend the team is doing well and will continue to improve.

“Our main goal this year is to be in the top half of the OVC and I think that goal is definitely attainable,” she said.

Last season, the Panthers finished 11-21, 3-14 in the Ohio Valley Conference.

The Panthers’ next game action is this weekend at the Michigan State Spartans Invitational in East Lansing, Mich.

Bradley Kupiec can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected]

Top Cat: The Ultimate Assistant

Top Cat: The Ultimate Assistant

Scott Chaplinski has had quite the impact on the Charleston music scene. In just four years he was able to co-found two local music festivals that have helped make the Charleston music scene what it is today.